Google Maps License
Adrian Cox
2012-11-01 15:19:25 UTC
Adrian Cox [http://community.zenoss.org/people/AdrianCox] created the discussion

"Google Maps License"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69653#69653

In May 2008, Matt Ray said that, http://community.zenoss.org/message/18258#18258 "Zenoss has a license with Google that covers Enterprise customers and Open Source Core users" (http://community.zenoss.org/message/18258#18258). Is this license still in place for Zenoss Core 4, allowing us to use Google Maps on a private installation of Zenoss without paying for the enterprice license?

If so, is there some reference to the license that we should quote when in discussions with our local Google sales office?

nilie
2012-11-01 18:43:01 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Google Maps License"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69671#69671

I don't quite understand your question. Is it about the Google Maps API access ?

Adrian Cox
2012-11-01 18:53:36 UTC
Adrian Cox [http://community.zenoss.org/people/AdrianCox] created the discussion

"Re: Google Maps License"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69673#69673

Not the API key, but the commercial arrangements with Google. Google Maps is only free to embed in public facing websites. Clearly my client's Zenoss install will be an "internal deployment" which under normal circumstances would require http://www.google.com/enterprise/earthmaps/maps-compare.html Google Maps API for Business.

The 2008 post I linked implied that Zenoss had made a commercial arrangement with Google that exempted Zenoss users from some of Google's requirements. My client's legal team will require rather more evidence than a four year old forum post before permitting us to get a Google API key - I am hoping somebody can either point me to this evidence, or confirm that there is no free usage arrangement.

nilie
2012-11-01 19:41:09 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Google Maps License"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69676#69676

In this case, the only proper way to go is to ask a lawyer to help you understand Google's terms of service.

Quoting from     https://developers.google.com/maps/faq#tos_mysite https://developers.google.com/maps/faq#tos_mysite   :

"You should use your own counsel to determine whether your application complies with the https://developers.google.com/maps/faq#tos Terms of Service before you develop and launch it."

Now I'm not a lawyer but reading through Google's ToS for Maps API I noticed there is a requirement that you should buy a license for Google Maps API for Business if your website is only accessible within your company or on your intranet. If this is the case, then you should ask the question to someone working in the legal department at Zenoss.

I think Zenoss documentation should be modified to address this aspect too.