Nesting location maps in portal
Zev Mo Green
2013-08-02 15:34:34 UTC
Zev Mo Green [http://community.zenoss.org/people/zevmo] created the discussion

"Nesting location maps in portal"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74259#74259

I have seen this done before, but I am wondering how to nest locations, so that I can click on a 'dot' on the google maps portlet, and that will redraw a new map with those nested locations.

Andrew Kirch
2013-08-02 15:36:54 UTC
Andrew Kirch [http://community.zenoss.org/people/akirch] created the discussion

"Re: Nesting location maps in portal"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74274#74274

if you're only looking to draw part of the map,  once you add your sublocations (note that your base location won't be drawn), click details>map from the main location.  You should see only the locations

from there, on the dashboard, select the gear on the map widget, and you can set a "base location"

Zev Mo Green
2013-08-02 15:44:39 UTC
Zev Mo Green [http://community.zenoss.org/people/zevmo] created the discussion

"Re: Nesting location maps in portal"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74260#74260

For example, I have the 5 boroughs of nyc, so I want one dot for each, and then double click to reveal the sites in borough.

Andrew Kirch
2013-08-02 17:04:00 UTC
Andrew Kirch [http://community.zenoss.org/people/akirch] created the discussion

"Re: Nesting location maps in portal"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74275#74275

Zev:
Please see my answer above.

Andrew

Andrew Kirch
2013-08-02 17:07:54 UTC
Andrew Kirch [http://community.zenoss.org/people/akirch] created the discussion

"Re: Nesting location maps in portal"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74276#74276

as far as drilling down, this is accomplished using the "gear" menu at the upper right of the applet, and selecting the location container.

Charles Wilkinson
2013-08-02 23:20:12 UTC
Charles Wilkinson [http://community.zenoss.org/people/charles81] created the discussion

"Re: Nesting location maps in portal"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74291#74291

From memory, clicking on the map dot for your location container in the dashboard will open it in the Devices area showing the devices I think.

So Zev wants it to open in the dash for the map of that sub-container instead. Not currently possible. You would have to modify or create your own dash portlier to do this.

Zev Mo Green
2013-08-05 16:01:47 UTC
Zev Mo Green [http://community.zenoss.org/people/zevmo] created the discussion

"Re: Nesting location maps in portal"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74299#74299

I thought so too, although I have seen it work on another user's 4.2 core install.  I am trying to find out how their admins got it to work.

Zev Mo Green
2013-08-05 17:48:40 UTC
Zev Mo Green [http://community.zenoss.org/people/zevmo] created the discussion

"Re: Nesting location maps in portal"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74300#74300

It looks to be something to change in the geomap.js file.  I just don't have access to see the one that works, in order to figure out what I should change.

jcurry
2013-08-08 10:06:16 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Nesting location maps in portal"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74318#74318

I agree with Zev that this used to work sometime in the past - click on a location that contains sublocations and you drill down into that geomap.

Andrew's point about setting the base location is correct but you either have lots of GoogleMap  apps setup on your Dash or you need to change the Base Location on-the-fly to drill down.

Oh - and btw - the prompt on the window to set the bsae location is inconsistent - sometimes you can just click the window and immediately get a dropdown of all your locations; sometimes you can start typing ....   /L   .... and it prompts with the dropdown, other times it just doesn't seem to want to help.

I have just confirmed that the drill down into sublocations WAS the behaviour with Zenoss 3.1.0 - though there didn't seem to be a way to get back up to the parent location without refreshing the Dashboards web page.  It also had the googlemaps arrow keys for moving and + and - buttons to zoom in/out - all of which are now missing in 4.2.x.

Cheers,
Jane