Process monitoring with / without SNMP
gstanchev
2013-07-09 13:10:18 UTC
gstanchev [http://community.zenoss.org/people/gstanchev] created the discussion

"Re: Process monitoring with / without SNMP"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73875#73875

I have exact same problem with 4.2.3, is that was solved? or I am making something wrong?

themactech
2013-07-11 15:27:29 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: Process monitoring with / without SNMP"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73923#73923

Do you need the data on all the processes or just some that you need to keep an eye on?

Process monitoring can be configure in Net-SNMP.  That would return the process data in a OID branch.

It's on my to-do list to play with that and make a modeler to get that branch, but I don't know when I'll get to tackle that.

Taken from a website:

h3. Process Monitoring
The hrSWRun group of the Host Resources MIB provides information about individual processes running on the local system. The prTable of the UCD-SNMP-MIB complements this by reporting on selected services (which may involve multiple processes). This requires that the agent was built with support for the +ucd-snmp/proc+ module (which is included as part of the default build configuration).
proc NAME [MAX [MIN]]monitors the number of processes called NAME (as reported by "/bin/ps -e") running on the local system.If the number of NAMEd processes is less than MIN or greater than MAX, then the corresponding prErrorFlag instance will be set to 1, and a suitable description message reported via the prErrMessage instance.Note:This situation will *not* automatically trigger a trap to report the problem - see the DisMan Event MIB section later.If neither MAX nor MIN are specified (or are both 0), they will default to *infinity* and 1 respectively ("at least one"). If only MAX is specified, MIN will default to 0 ("no more than MAX").procfix NAME PROG ARGSregisters a command that can be run to fix errors with the given process NAME. This will be invoked when the corresponding prErrFix instance is set to 1.Note:This command will *not* be invoked automatically.The +procfix+ directive must be specified *after* the matching +proc+ directive, and cannot be used on its own.If no +proc+ directives are defined, then walking the prTable will fail (+noSuchObject).+

Manuel