"Process not running" errors
malik
2013-07-19 19:31:18 UTC
malik [http://community.zenoss.org/people/malik] created the discussion

""Process not running" errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74060#74060

After newest kernel upgrade (running Centos 6.4), I'm seeing this false "Process not running" error on my host machine for the following OSProcesses: zenwin, zenwinperf, zenjmx (twice), zeneventserver, and zeneventlog.

*Process not running: zeneventlog Using regex '.*zeneventlog.py.*' All Processes have stopped since the last model occurred.*

I've dug through the forums and similar errors plagued v3.2.x, but I'm at v4.2.4, and I cannot grok what is causing these errors.  Does anyone have any advice?

hydruid
2013-07-24 18:21:09 UTC
hydruid [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hydruid] created the discussion

"Re: "Process not running" errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74127#74127

By false do you mean they're actually running and working, but you get the "shadow" errors?

If Zenoss isn't working, reboot into the older kernel and see if it works there, then you can have additional time to research before upgrading again.

malik
2013-07-24 18:57:26 UTC
malik [http://community.zenoss.org/people/malik] created the discussion

"Re: "Process not running" errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74129#74129

Yeah, I've been troubleshooting in the interim - one of the steps I took was to boot with the previous kernel, and no joy.  I'd hoped that the previous steps to fix the error could be reproduced but I've found nothing in all my hunting on this site and elsewhere.

It's a minor issue, in that it's not a show-stopper and only sullies the event alerts for one machine, but the OCD demands a solution.

Have tried:

Deleting the process, model the device, re-add the process, re-model the device.
Adding the hostname to /etc/hosts
Booting with previous kernel
Restarting snmp and zenoss service on the device
Adjusting the regex used to search for the process
Running snmpwalk manually to verify the processes are reported

Thinking I may need to back up everything (host is a guest VM on ESXi host), reinstall zenoss package fresh and see if that makes a difference.