Adding new IPService doesn't work
thomas
2013-09-10 12:32:55 UTC
thomas [http://community.zenoss.org/people/thomas] created the discussion

"Adding new IPService doesn't work"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74588#74588

Hey

I'm trying to add a new IpService to our Zenoss Core 4.2.4 install (autodeploy on centos 6.4).

I have added a service organizer named Splunk, under this I have added a service (splunk-web) which has the following attributes:

Name: splunk-web
Port: 8000
Service keys: splunk-web
zMonitor: No
zFailSeverity: Error

I have checked with 'nc -vz <device> 8000' from my zenoss server which says connected successfully (so fw is not an issue). I have tested via snmpwalk that the port is listed:

TCP-MIB::tcpConnState.0.0.0.0.8000.0.0.0.0.0 = INTEGER: listen(2)
TCP-MIB::tcpConnLocalAddress.0.0.0.0.8000.0.0.0.0.0 = IpAddress: 0.0.0.0
TCP-MIB::tcpConnLocalPort.0.0.0.0.8000.0.0.0.0.0 = INTEGER: 8000
TCP-MIB::tcpConnRemAddress.0.0.0.0.8000.0.0.0.0.0 = IpAddress: 0.0.0.0
TCP-MIB::tcpConnRemPort.0.0.0.0.8000.0.0.0.0.0 = INTEGER: 0
TCP-MIB::tcpListenerProcess.ipv4."0.0.0.0".8000 = Gauge32: 0

But when I do a remodel of my device, then it doesn't discover this new service. I have tried to restart zenoss but this doesn't help.

hydruid
2013-09-12 17:59:55 UTC
hydruid [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hydruid] created the discussion

"Re: Adding new IPService doesn't work"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74604#74604

Add the custom IpService manually to the <device>.
1. Click on Infrastructure
2. Click on the device
3. Click on the "Plus button" in the bottom left
4. Select Add Ip Service
5. Select Service Class/Protocal
6. Go to IP Services of the device to confirm it's there

Then you're done!

Andrew Kirch
2013-09-12 18:03:31 UTC
Andrew Kirch [http://community.zenoss.org/people/akirch] created the discussion

"Re: Adding new IPService doesn't work"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74621#74621

With regard to custom IP services please NB the bug I filed this morning:
http://jira.zenoss.com/jira/browse/ZEN-8272 http://jira.zenoss.com/jira/browse/ZEN-8272

thomas
2013-09-13 08:43:13 UTC
thomas [http://community.zenoss.org/people/thomas] created the discussion

"Re: Adding new IPService doesn't work"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74629#74629

Hmm, but as far as I know, then Zenoss should automatically detect these ip services once they have been created and device has been modeled... so I shouldn't need to add them manually (I have 500 devices and need to monitor that a given IP service is running on them all!).

This worked somewhat OK in 2.5.2 and 3.x.

And ie. SSH is detected correctly and displayed as a IP service...

hydruid
2013-09-13 13:49:44 UTC
hydruid [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hydruid] created the discussion

"Re: Adding new IPService doesn't work"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74632#74632

There is a way to do it automatically.....I will experiment and let you
know!

hydruid
2013-09-18 18:01:23 UTC
hydruid [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hydruid] created the discussion

"Re: Adding new IPService doesn't work"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74698#74698

I was wrong....doesn't appear there is a way to do it!

thomas
2013-09-20 09:49:27 UTC
thomas [http://community.zenoss.org/people/thomas] created the discussion

"Re: Adding new IPService doesn't work"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74726#74726

It seems as though this may have something to do with our zenoss server having both an IPv4 and IPv6, but I need to test this more before I can draw the conclusion... Fortunately we have a zenoss core 4.2.4 with IPv4 only, so it should be possible to test.

thomas
2013-10-22 09:30:35 UTC
thomas [http://community.zenoss.org/people/thomas] created the discussion

"Re: Adding new IPService doesn't work"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75029#75029

I think I may have found the reason why this is happening, I was looking through the source for the IpServiceMap, and found that it actually has a zProperty: zIpServiceMapMaxPort that was set to 1024 as standard... and my services was listening on >1024 :-)

Changed this to 10000 and now my ports are beeing discovered by the modeler.

Thomas