How To Add To Components View?
Peter Shankland
2011-11-09 16:36:44 UTC
Peter Shankland [http://community.zenoss.org/people/pshankland] created the discussion

"How To Add To Components View?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62533#62533

Hi, brand new to Zenoss so apologies if the following is a noob questions :)

I have just started adding a load of HP ProCurve switches to Zenoss and because I want to graph things such as CPU and Memory usage, I have created a new monitoring template and attached it to the /Network/Switches folder (or whatever this is called).

I thought this was fine but have just looked at the ZenPack for Juniper devices and the person who has created this has managed to add a load of new views to the Components view of the device over the standard ones --> http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-10328 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-10328<--

This is something I would really like to look at as want to pull out information from my ProCurve switches such as firmware versions etc, not something you would use a monitor template for.

Am not asking how you do this but would appreciate a nod in the right direction :)

Thanks.

Pete.

guyverix
2011-11-09 17:36:42 UTC
guyverix [http://community.zenoss.org/people/guyverix] created the discussion

"Re: How To Add To Components View?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62537#62537

This would be done by snagging that particular ZenPack and ripping it apart and rebuilding it for the Procurve switches you are using.  Thats about the only somewhat "quick" option I am aware of.

Peter Shankland
2011-11-09 19:28:05 UTC
Peter Shankland [http://community.zenoss.org/people/pshankland] created the discussion

"Re: How To Add To Components View?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62539#62539

Thanks for the reply but do you know of the 'correct' way to go about creating these new device components rather than a quick way. The ZenPack author must have created them in the first place somehow :)

Thanks.

Peter Shankland
2011-11-14 20:29:06 UTC
Peter Shankland [http://community.zenoss.org/people/pshankland] created the discussion

"Re: How To Add To Components View?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62615#62615

Sorry to bump but anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks.

dpetzel
2011-11-14 20:41:22 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: How To Add To Components View?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62622#62622

You should start with reading up on developing zenpacks. I believe the two most useful documents are:
1) http://www.skills-1st.co.uk/papers/jane/zenpacks/zenpacks3.pdf http://www.skills-1st.co.uk/papers/jane/zenpacks/zenpacks3.pdf
2) http://community.zenoss.org/community/documentation/official_documentation/zenoss-dev-guide http://community.zenoss.org/community/documentation/official_documentation/zenoss-dev-guide

In a nutshell you need to model and relate the components to the device. Its a fairly popular thing done in zenpacks that do more than just provide a monitoring template. I'd suggest reading Jane's doc as it does a really good job of easing into how its done.

Peter Shankland
2011-11-14 20:46:53 UTC
Peter Shankland [http://community.zenoss.org/people/pshankland] created the discussion

"Re: How To Add To Components View?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62616#62616

Thanks for the reply - looks as though I have some reading to do!! :)