How to Monitor Zenoss Daemons?
Charlie Li
2011-12-14 01:25:00 UTC
Charlie Li [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ccli] created the discussion

"How to Monitor Zenoss Daemons?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63280#63280

Hi, I would like to periodically monitor Zenoss daemons. (I do not want to use Zenoss to monitor system events, buy to monitor Zenoss itself). If some Zenoss daemons die, I would like to restart them automatically. Since I use Ubuntu system, a potential way is to use Upstart to monitor Zenoss daemons.

Hence I wrote a lot of *.conf and put them in /etc/init. For example, the following is the content of zeoctl.conf, which is the first started daemon of Zenoss.
--
description     "start zenoss zeoctl daemon"

start on startup
stop on  runlevel [!2345]

exec /usr/local/zenoss/bin/zeoctl
---

However, zeoctl daemon can not be started while system operates.  When I typed 'initctl status zeoctl', it showed 'stop/waiting'. If I typed 'initctl start zeoctl', it will show 'zeoctl start/running process 1765'. However, it turns into stop/waiting immediately.

What and How can I do to achieve my goals (for other daemons)? Many thanks

2011-12-15 13:54:51 UTC

"Re: How to Monitor Zenoss Daemons?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63290#63290

Zenoss does have its own watchdog option - you could try checking the watchdog configuration for the Daemons.

Charlie Li
2011-12-16 01:19:09 UTC
Charlie Li [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ccli] created the discussion

"Re: How to Monitor Zenoss Daemons?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63297#63297

Thanks for your great replay. However, I am a neophyte, can you please explain more? thx.

Alan Milligan
2011-12-16 02:30:40 UTC
Alan Milligan [http://community.zenoss.org/people/milligana] created the discussion

"Re: How to Monitor Zenoss Daemons?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63301#63301

The Zenoss control scripts are a complete crock.  We use monit: check out the RPM's at:

https://linux.last-bastion.net/LBN/up2date/monitor/13/bastion-monit-zenoss-1.1.4-1.lbn13.noarch.rpm https://linux.last-bastion.net/LBN/up2date/monitor/13/bastion-monit-zenoss-1.1.4-1.lbn13.noarch.rpm
https://linux.last-bastion.net/LBN/up2date/monitor/13/bastion-monit-zenoss-mysqld-1.1.4-1.lbn13.noarch.rpm https://linux.last-bastion.net/LBN/up2date/monitor/13/bastion-monit-zenoss-mysqld-1.1.4-1.lbn13.noarch.rpm
https://linux.last-bastion.net/LBN/up2date/monitor/13/bastion-monit-mysqld-1.1.4-1.lbn13.noarch.rpm https://linux.last-bastion.net/LBN/up2date/monitor/13/bastion-monit-mysqld-1.1.4-1.lbn13.noarch.rpm
https://linux.last-bastion.net/LBN/up2date/plope/13/bastion-monit-zope-1.1.4-1.lbn13.noarch.rpm https://linux.last-bastion.net/LBN/up2date/plope/13/bastion-monit-zope-1.1.4-1.lbn13.noarch.rpm

There's quite a lot going on with high-volume Zope/Zeo clustered systems that mean not all services run on all nodes.  Very similarly, with multi ZenHub's and ZenEvent/MySql there are a lot of potential configuration options given your datacentre services infrastructure.

Charlie Li
2011-12-26 07:38:17 UTC
Charlie Li [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ccli] created the discussion

"Re: How to Monitor Zenoss Daemons?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63429#63429

Thanks for your reply. I still have two questions:
1.My system is ubuntu, not redhat. Are RPM suitable?
2. Why did you give me four links? Which one should I choose?

Many thanks.