How to check processes only for a specific period of time in the day?
Luca Maranzano
2012-01-19 09:55:08 UTC
Luca Maranzano [http://community.zenoss.org/people/liuk] created the discussion

"How to check processes only for a specific period of time in the day?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63767#63767

we are using Zenoss 3.2.1 and we have several Windows machine monitored via SNMP which have about 10 different processes to be monitored.

Since these processes are active only during specific and constant period of time in the day (for example ProcessA from 06:00 AM to 10:00 PM and ProcessB from 05:00 AM to 11:00 PM) we need to reflect this behaviour on Zenoss monitoring to avoid receiving Alert about process not running outside the defined time (which is not an Alert since it is OK that the process must not run).

Besides we still want to be notified on a 24 hours basis for example about File System Alarms, so the Maintenance Windows are not useful in our case.

Coming from a several years experience with Nagios, I know that with Nagios it is possibile to specify che Check time for every specific process/service which would do the trick, but with ZenOSS it does not seem so immediate.

So which is the Right Way to implement this?

Thank you in advance for your kind support!

Best regards,
Luca

Luca Maranzano
2012-01-20 08:23:45 UTC
Luca Maranzano [http://community.zenoss.org/people/liuk] created the discussion

"Re: How to check processes only for a specific period of time in the day?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63788#63788

digging further in the Forum I've found this thread very useful:

http://community.zenoss.org/thread/16259 http://community.zenoss.org/thread/16259

zendmd seems really powerful! Let's start some python coding :-)

Finally found something in Zenoss that cannot be done from its wonderful Web interface ;-)

More later,
Luca

jcurry
2012-01-24 17:36:22 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: How to check processes only for a specific period of time in the day?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63871#63871

You seem to have discarded the idea of maintenance windows but I would have thought that with a judicious configuration of the event class that is generated by your processes then you could use that as a filter in an alert rule with an appropriate schedule.

It is perfectly possible to have multiple alerting rules configured and they will all run, as specified by their relevant schedules.

I tried creating a new event subclass of /Status/OSProcess called /Status/OSProcess/TimedOsProcess and then created a transform for the standard /Status/OSProcess class with criteria for a match on the component and inclusion in a Systems category - if it matches then the class gets changed to my new one.

The you can create an alerting rule, with a schedule for that event class.

Cheers,
Jane