monitoring services by device group?
Trevor Powell
2012-12-01 02:20:05 UTC
Trevor Powell [http://community.zenoss.org/people/catdaaaady] created the discussion

"monitoring services by device group?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70267#70267

With zenoss 4, it is not clear to me how I can add a service monitor to a group of devices automatically.

For example I have a http web service on all my boxes (desktops and servers). But I only care up them being up on my Servers.
I have two devices classes; One for desktops and one for servers.

How can I assign a service monitor to a service class and not a desktop class?

It seems with monitors, zenoss will show you all the systems that have that service. And you have to select all the systems you want zenoss to monitor that service on.

That is fine for the first time I setup zenoss. But as I add http servers, I want them to be automatically monitored by zenoss. And the desktops that I add can be ignored.

thoughts?

alex0cy
2012-12-03 10:34:19 UTC
alex0cy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/alex0cy] created the discussion

"Re: monitoring services by device group?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70272#70272

It's not clear how you separate devices, by device class of device group? Out of the box tt's possible to customize monitoring based on device class. You shall customize modeler plugins and exclude discovering of http services in desktop class.

Another way is to keep monitoring and discovering as is, but supress events with event transform for certain classes or grups of devices.

In case you use custom monitoring script to check http service you can pass device class/group name to it and script will decide if service must be checked for this device.

So there is a number of ways to achieve the result.

Trevor Powell
2012-12-03 17:17:02 UTC
Trevor Powell [http://community.zenoss.org/people/catdaaaady] created the discussion

"Re: monitoring services by device group?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70292#70292

If I am using the winservice modeler to detect the http service, I don't see how I could get the desktops to winservice model for other services but not http service.