Have a server register itself as a device?
Todd Courtnage
2012-02-17 23:38:50 UTC
Todd Courtnage [http://community.zenoss.org/people/tcourtnage] created the discussion

"Have a server register itself as a device?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64555#64555

Is it possible for a remote server to register itself with Zenoss as a new device?  Perhaps via something akin to zensendevent?

Scenario:
We have an Amazon auto-scaling group that will automatically scale up (add a new server) if the load gets too high.  It would be nice to be able to have something in the /etc/rc.local that would tell the server to register itself with Zenoss on boot.  Zenoss would then ssh to the server to model it and start monitoring it.

(Let's assume for the sake of this discussion that we didn't want to use the AWS Zenpack.) :)

dpetzel
2012-02-18 00:03:15 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Have a server register itself as a device?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64570#64570

Very possible. We do exactly this (within the confines of our own datacenter though). You can use the JSON API to add devices.