Zenoss 3.2.1: Change/rename host
Scott Hill
2012-10-10 14:33:25 UTC
Scott Hill [http://community.zenoss.org/people/scotthberger] created the discussion

"Zenoss 3.2.1: Change/rename host"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68982#68982

We're looking to change the OS on our Zenoss server from Ubuntu to CentOS (in preparation for upgrading to 4.2). The plan I'd like to use is:

1. Get Zenoss 3.2.1 running on the new CentOS box
2. Pull a zenbackup from the Ubuntu box, then shut it down
3. Rename the CentOS host
4. Run zenrestore, then test

Does this look like it'll work? The big thing I'm wondering about is the hostname change. With a copy of Zenoss 3.2.1 already installed is that going to cause any issues (or will the zenrestore take care of that)?

omeganon
2012-10-10 17:29:32 UTC
omeganon [http://community.zenoss.org/people/omeganon] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 3.2.1: Change/rename host"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68996#68996

From my recent experience, zenoss doesn't care about the hostname. I just went through that full transistion using and intermediary VM and a new server as the 4.2 box, all with different hostnames. I'm seeing a few issues that I need to work through but nothing that appears remotely related to hostname.

--
marc

Ryan Matte
2012-10-12 09:47:23 UTC
Ryan Matte [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 3.2.1: Change/rename host"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69082#69082

Well, if you install Zenoss 4 on a system and then change the hostname afterwards, RabbitMQ will refuse to start up.  There's a way to fix it that I'll be adding to the zenoss wiki soon enough.

jcurry
2012-10-12 09:43:05 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 3.2.1: Change/rename host"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69080#69080

I would agree that changing hostname shouldn't be a big issue.

What I think WILL kill the idea is that your restore won't work on a different architecture.  I tried that from a SuSE 3.x and the restore barfed in 16 different positions.

Sadly,
Jane

Scott Hill
2012-10-17 15:57:27 UTC
Scott Hill [http://community.zenoss.org/people/scotthberger] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 3.2.1: Change/rename host"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69307#69307

Looks like it all went OK -- I'm now on CentOS 6.3 and Zenoss 4.2 SP1. Like omeganon I have some minor issues to clean up, but Zenoss is collecting data and sending us alerts.

Some lesons were learned along the way:

* Make sure you've got all your zenpacks installed before you run zenrestore. It makes a mess otherwise.
* VM snapshots will make fixing the missing zenpacks easier. (I didn't take one -- don't make my mistake!)
* After the restore on CentOS 5 Zenoss wouldn't start up completely. The fix was to edit /opt/zenoss/etc/zope.conf, and change the line "%define INSTANCE /usr/local/zenoss/zenoss" to "%define INSTANCE /opt/zenoss"
* The installation manual says to remove old versions of MySQL. On CentOS 6 this will break postfix. You'll need to  download and install the MySQL shared compatibility libraries along with the other MySQL RPMs. (I used MySQL-shared-compat-5.5.28-1.el6.x86_64.rpm.)