Managing user roles in Zenoss
Simone Del Pinto
2013-03-26 11:47:51 UTC
Simone Del Pinto [http://community.zenoss.org/people/s.delpinto] created the discussion

"Managing user roles in Zenoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72588#72588

Hi guys,

we need to create a user role that alows certain users to change monitoring ( Production/Preproduction and so on ) but we also need to avoid this user to change other configuration.

Any idea?

I've found a beta ZenPack but unfortunately it doesnt work.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Simone

2013-03-26 12:25:25 UTC

"Re: Managing user roles in Zenoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72590#72590

See:
https://zcaportal.org/wiki/bin/view/ZCA/ZCAFAQ#Can_I_set_granular_permissions_for_users_63 https://zcaportal.org/wiki/bin/view/ZCA/ZCAFAQ#Can_I_set_granular_permissions_for_users_63

But the short answer is buy the commercial product or pay for more dev work.

Simone Del Pinto
2013-03-26 17:02:28 UTC
Simone Del Pinto [http://community.zenoss.org/people/s.delpinto] created the discussion

"Re: Managing user roles in Zenoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72592#72592

Hi James,

really isnt there another way to do the same?

I've found this document http://www.skills-1st.co.uk/papers/jane/users_events_zproperties_paper.pdf http://www.skills-1st.co.uk/papers/jane/users_events_zproperties_paper.pdf and with its suggestions I found the checkbox that I need but.. it doesnt work!
Below what I found:

I've simply created a user "test" with role ZenOperator and then I've checked "change device production state" but when I try to log in with test user teh functionality "command" is inhibited.

Any suggestion?

This thing is driving me crazy...

jshardlow
2013-04-16 08:07:40 UTC
jshardlow [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jshardlow] created the discussion

"Re: Managing user roles in Zenoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72859#72859

I think you're on the right track there, as I've been trying to do the same thing. I created a new user role and then used the ZenUser and ZenOperator users as a guide. So I selected the following:

Administrators View, Change Event Views, Define Commands View, Maintenance Windows View, Manage Events, Run Commands, ZenCommon.

Then back in the normal Zenoss front end I assigned that role to a user. Then I added that user to a group and defined the administered devices to that group. At that point I'm pretty sure that the user with the new role could only see the specified devices and that they could manage events.

It's been quite a few weeks since I was playing was this and I can't quite remember how I left it as I've been caught up with other things. So I hope this helps.

Like you, and others I guess, I do find it a bit annoying that a relatively simple concept isn't available, or that the documentation is less than forthcoming on the subject.