Zenoss 4.2 SP1 - XenServer / Xen monitoring CentOS 6.2 minimal
Ross Cavanagh
2012-12-17 09:18:51 UTC
Ross Cavanagh [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rosscav] created the discussion

"Zenoss 4.2 SP1 - XenServer / Xen monitoring CentOS 6.2 minimal"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70554#70554

I was just wondering what the best way to get monitoring for XenServer is (possibly people may have a similar issue with Xen also).

As listed in the title, I've got the following setup:

OS: CentOS 6.2 minimal install
Core: Zenoss 4.2 SP1

If I put anything in the /Server/Virtual Machine Host/Xen I get the following:

The command /usr/sbin/xm list returned stderr data (1) from the device: /usr/sbin/xm: Command not found.

I wanted to know what's currently the best way to monitor, in my case, XenServers from Zenoss? As the default setup requires various Xen related tools (which I guess are no longer part of the standard packages since KVM is now the default virtualization).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Andrew Kirch
2012-12-17 18:02:06 UTC
Andrew Kirch [http://community.zenoss.org/people/akirch] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2 SP1 - XenServer / Xen monitoring CentOS 6.2 minimal"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70579#70579

have you gone on the machine you're trying to monitor to see if 'xm' is in /usr/sbin for that machine?
I'd guess something as simple as a symlink might fix this.

Ross Cavanagh
2012-12-17 22:53:22 UTC
Ross Cavanagh [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rosscav] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2 SP1 - XenServer / Xen monitoring CentOS 6.2 minimal"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70604#70604

Andrew, thanks for getting back to me, I did actually follow the instructions on the post that I'd noticed after initially writing that message. I updated my message to add that information at the bottom of it. I'd set it up as advised on the github page, I think it will do the job I want, I just need to play around with a non root user account to give permissions to the xe (XenServer, not Xen - but I hear XCP uses XE too now) list params by the looks of it.

https://github.com/alexandrud/ZenPacks.community.CitrixMonitor https://github.com/alexandrud/ZenPacks.community.CitrixMonitor