Zenoss for Knowledge Management
Ed Reber
2013-06-17 15:35:45 UTC
Ed Reber [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sekreber] created the discussion

"Zenoss for Knowledge Management"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73634#73634

Can someone let me know if Zenoss can also be used for Knowledge Management as well as tracking events? I want to be able to log an event as corrected in Zenoss and be able to search Zenoss to figure out how an event was resolved vs. maintaining a secondary site and re-entering information of how we resolved an event and creating more work.

Thanks,

hydruid
2013-06-17 17:11:42 UTC
hydruid [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hydruid] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss for Knowledge Management"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73625#73625

Ed,

I've never seen this functionality, but I don't see why you couldn't build a custom report to do a search for the information you want.

I browsed through the ZenPacks, but didn't find anything there.

Hydruid

Ed Reber
2013-06-17 17:18:00 UTC
Ed Reber [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sekreber] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss for Knowledge Management"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73636#73636

That is what I thought as well. However, I have not found a way to be able to use the Log field in a custom report so we can see the notes we have put in.

hydruid
2013-06-17 17:19:39 UTC
hydruid [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hydruid] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss for Knowledge Management"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73627#73627

I wish I could be more help in that department, but custom reports are not
my forte. Good Luck!

dpetzel
2013-06-18 01:03:38 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss for Knowledge Management"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73638#73638

I had looked at this very early on when evaluating Zenoss, and the take away was it just wasn't the right tool for the job. Even with a custom report, its not going to be easily searchable.

What I would suggest is that you manage the knowledge in a wiki or some other tool. When resolving an event link to the wiki, rather than typing the solution in the event log.

Keep in mind that the events are stored in MySQL. This means in theory you could wrap some sort of searchable interface around some MySQL queries, but I wouldnt suggest this. Events can take up a ton of space, and its typical to have event aging enabled so that older events are purged, keeping your mysql db size down. If you were using it for knowledge, it would get dicey because you would probably want to keep knowledge around a lot longer than events.

themactech
2013-06-20 17:05:24 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss for Knowledge Management"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73699#73699

A trouble ticket like OTRS could be integrated with Zenoss.  I think it would be a better tool to track issue resolution.  Creation of tickets from events can be automated to streamline the process.

Manuel

Ed Reber
2013-08-05 14:59:11 UTC
Ed Reber [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sekreber] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss for Knowledge Management"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74294#74294

I would like to thank the people who participated in this post. Through researching another feature, I have learned that Zenoss only keeps data, by default, for 90 days. To keep more data would become too cumbersome for MYSQL as dpetzel pointed out. I am going to follow diurection given in this post and another post, to look for a secondary program to store my data for events that have been resolved to build a Knowledge Management DB.

Thank you again for your help.