In the ZenPack situation a mess or am I an idiot ?
zenorr
2013-08-21 08:50:26 UTC
zenorr [http://community.zenoss.org/people/zenorr] created the discussion

"In the ZenPack situation a mess or am I an idiot ?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74407#74407

Fellow users,

I have to install a new Zenoss instance, haven't done so in a while. This time, I have decided to go for 4.x (Core) for which the installation on Ubuntu using Hydruid script worked well.

Now I'm trying to download and install optional ZenPacks, I have found the directory on http://wiki.zenoss.org/Category:ZenPacks http://wiki.zenoss.org/Category:ZenPacks, and even the installation instructions (zenpack --install *.egg), but *where the hell can I find the eggs* ?

Numerous discussions in forums and instructions on how to use git with github, but where are the eggs ???

TIA,
Charles

P.S. for developers using git, http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/ check this.

2013-08-21 12:25:23 UTC

"Re: In the ZenPack situation a mess or am I an idiot ?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74408#74408

The issue is not all zenpacks are provided with an .egg, it seems to be up to the developer. See:
http://wiki.zenoss.org/ZenPack:Predictive_Threshold http://wiki.zenoss.org/ZenPack:Predictive_Threshold

For one that does have an .egg linked. I'm not really sure what it takes to make an .egg , and however github is set up for zenpacks confuses me as an admin. I don't love it, but given that you can download a tar from github and at the command line do a
zenpack --install /path/to/extracted/folder
I don't really know what the value of the .eggs are anymore anyway - especially as with the folder you also have the source for editing if you want.

I will try and get some clarity on how this is envisioned to work going forward.
CLASSE Computer Group

zenorr
2013-08-21 14:10:02 UTC
zenorr [http://community.zenoss.org/people/zenorr] created the discussion

"Re: In the ZenPack situation a mess or am I an idiot ?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74427#74427

ok, thanks James,

I have tried again with a Zenpack that is officially supported on Zenoss 4.2.4, namely ZenPacks.community.InterfaceGraphs. I could install it using
git clone https://github.com/zenoss/ZenPacks.community.InterfaceGraphs.git
zenpack --install ZenPacks.community.InterfaceGraphs
and it even works, congrats to Simon Helson for providing this ZenPack.

My problems are probably linked to the fact that very few developers have provided 4.x versions of their ZenPacks.

kb8u
2013-08-21 16:19:05 UTC
kb8u [http://community.zenoss.org/people/kb8u] created the discussion

"Re: In the ZenPack situation a mess or am I an idiot ?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74416#74416

The .egg files are available from the wiki.  Select your favorite zenpack from http://wiki.zenoss.org/Category:ZenPacks http://wiki.zenoss.org/Category:ZenPacks then look in the 'Releases' section and click on the Download button.

It used to be suggested that zenpack authors provide the .egg file on github, but now there's a system in place that slurps down the github files, builds the egg and makes it available on the wiki.

zenorr
2013-08-23 08:52:55 UTC
zenorr [http://community.zenoss.org/people/zenorr] created the discussion

"Re: In the ZenPack situation a mess or am I an idiot ?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74474#74474

That only work partially, I guess some ZenPacks can't get "compiled/egged" for Zenoss 4.x, causing the lack of files I have been observing.

hydruid
2013-08-26 19:56:40 UTC
hydruid [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hydruid] created the discussion

"Re: In the ZenPack situation a mess or am I an idiot ?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74497#74497

Glad to hear that people are having success with my script.

I tend to stick with the Core ZenPacks....they usually always work :p

zenorr
2013-08-27 08:48:58 UTC
zenorr [http://community.zenoss.org/people/zenorr] created the discussion

"Re: In the ZenPack situation a mess or am I an idiot ?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74500#74500

ok, I have found that migrating existing ZenPacks from Zenoss 3.x to Zenoss 4.x need a few steps, but I'm not really sure about the correct way of doing this. What I have done is :
* remove EGG-INFO/
* write your ZenPacks.xxx.yyy/GNUmakefile
* write your ZenPacks.xxx.yyy/setup.py
* write your ZenPacks.xxx.yyy/ZenPacks/xxx/yyy/configure.zcml
The Zenpack installation (using ---link) works then, and you can start fixing up the other issues (modeler, skins, etc).