Updating the base OS
tushar jadhav
2013-07-18 14:59:35 UTC
tushar jadhav [http://community.zenoss.org/people/tjadhav] created the discussion

"Updating the base OS"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74049#74049

what is the best practice for updating the OS that Zenoss runs on?
For example I'm running CentOS v6.4. There are updates available for the OS.
Should the updates be applied as they come or do we filter certain kinds or update monthly or quarterly or yearly etc?
In general what has worked for you guys who have been running Zenoss for a while.

Thanks
Tushar.

nilie
2013-07-20 01:51:02 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Updating the base OS"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74075#74075

With the exception of kernel updates, you can update whenever you like without any restriction. Kernel updates require a server reboot so you must schedule them at a time that is convenient for you. If you don't mind rebooting the server during business hours, then there are no restrictions.
In my case, I was doing updates every week during business hours except for kernel updates that were scheduled on Saturday night and followed by a reboot.
More than this, with CentOS, you can update between minor versions without any problem. I did it for Zenoss Core v3.x from CentOS v5.3 up to 5.9 whenever a new one was released.

tushar jadhav
2013-07-22 17:10:36 UTC
tushar jadhav [http://community.zenoss.org/people/tjadhav] created the discussion

"Re: Updating the base OS"