Begginers question on zenoss
aru mon
2013-04-17 04:33:17 UTC
aru mon [http://community.zenoss.org/people/arumon] created the discussion

"Begginers question on zenoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72873#72873

Hi All,

I am new to zenoss. I have installed the zenoss core 4.2.3 on centos 6. The installation went smooth and started working. I have some basic questions on the monitoring part. I am using the zenoss to monitor my OS and applications. Want to use the ssh modeling for all my ubuntu monitored servers. All my servers are in EC2 (including the zenoss server). My questions are below:-

1. What is the difference between modeler plugin and Template.
2. How to configure the monitoring parameters for specific monitored servers.
3. what all monitoring available default?
4. What scenario we will go for zenpacks?
5. Is there any detailed doc which explains the indepth of the architecture of zenoss?

Regards,
Arumon

guyverix
2013-04-17 16:14:01 UTC
guyverix [http://community.zenoss.org/people/guyverix] created the discussion

"Re: Begginers question on zenoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72877#72877

This should cover questions 1-5.

http://community.zenoss.org/community/documentation/official_documentation http://community.zenoss.org/community/documentation/official_documentation

aru mon
2013-04-17 16:56:36 UTC
aru mon [http://community.zenoss.org/people/arumon] created the discussion

"Re: Begginers question on zenoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72878#72878

Hi Guyverix,

Thanks for the reply. I gone through the doc already. but still wants to have some clarity on those questions. I would appreciate if you can help me.

Regards,
Arumon

jcurry
2013-04-18 08:14:50 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Begginers question on zenoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72888#72888

As guyverix says, the official documentation answers most of these questions, but it is a bit opaque if you are new to Zenoss.

1. What is the difference between modeler plugin and Template.

Modeler plugins collect CONFIGURATION information - like interface details, filesystems, what monitored processes are running.  They are run by the zenmodeler daemon, typically every 12 hours.

Templates collect PERFORMANCE information for those devices and components that have already been discovered by modelers. Typically, templates run every 5 minutes.

So, for example, a modeler will discover that you have filesystems of / and /home; a template will then collect the data showing bytes used, inodes used,..

2. How to configure the monitoring parameters for specific monitored servers.

This depends totally on what you want to monitor.  Look at the monitoring templates supplied as standard and this will get you a long way.
3. what all monitoring available default?

Start from ADVANCED -> Monitoring templates and explore.

4. What scenario we will go for zenpacks?

Depends on what you need!  Start on your requirements.  See if the standard Core product satisfies them.  If not, look for ZenPacks that provide the add-on functionality that you require.  You can find the community ZenPacks at http://wiki.zenoss.org/Category:ZenPacks http://wiki.zenoss.org/Category:ZenPacks .  There also appears to be a new AWS Zenpack announced today.

5. Is there any detailed doc which explains the indepth of the architecture of zenoss?
See the Admin Guide.

Cheers,
Jane

aru mon
2013-04-22 11:08:24 UTC
aru mon [http://community.zenoss.org/people/arumon] created the discussion

"Re: Begginers question on zenoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72933#72933

Thanks Jane.

Can you please help me on one more doubt.
My ssh based monitorint is not working. The command which i am creating is showing that it is executing against the remote device but it is giving the output of the zenoss monitoring server itself.

Regards,
Arumon

jcurry
2013-04-22 13:57:12 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Begginers question on zenoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72924#72924

I don't think I undestand your comment here.  Perhaps you could paste a screen shot of what you are doing?

Cheers,
Jane

aru mon
2013-04-23 08:06:48 UTC
aru mon [http://community.zenoss.org/people/arumon] created the discussion

"Re: Begginers question on zenoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72934#72934

1. I have installed zenoss-core-4.2.3 on an amazon linux instance.
2. Now trying to add a client system (amazon linux) for monitoring under /"server/ssh/linux" device class.(using ssh method)
3. i am using ssh key for authentication with zenoss user.
I can see the modeling is happening without any errors on UI. I can see the filesystem info is also displayed, however it is not getting the updates of used, free, etc...
4. I tried to create a datasource with /bin/df command. When ever i am testing it, it gives me the output from the zenoss server itself.

screnshots of configuration is attached....

Loading Image... Loading Image... Loading Image... Loading Image... Loading Image... Loading Image... Loading Image... Loading Image... Loading Image... Loading Image... Loading Image... Loading Image... Loading Image... Loading Image...

aru mon
2013-04-25 05:05:40 UTC
aru mon [http://community.zenoss.org/people/arumon] created the discussion

"Re: Begginers question on zenoss"