Monitor EATON Rack Environmental Monitors?
Troy Clifton
2012-04-18 21:43:27 UTC
Troy Clifton [http://community.zenoss.org/people/tclifton] created the discussion

"Monitor EATON Rack Environmental Monitors?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65950#65950

Haven't been able to find any information on monitoring an EATON Rack Monitor for the environmentals like temperature and humidity.  We have the webserver running on it and can login, but I don't see Zenoss pulling that off a web page like that.  Has anyone done anything via SNMP or anything on these devices?
Thanks!

themactech
2012-04-19 00:33:24 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: Monitor EATON Rack Environmental Monitors?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65959#65959

I don't have info on these devices, have you checked the manufacturer's site?  I have gotten data out of devices that only have a web GUI before.  I use a command data script, I pull the data with a curl or wget command and parse out the info I need.

First check what is supported form the device and let us know, parsing web data definitely would not be plan A.

Manuel

Troy Clifton
2012-05-04 19:18:04 UTC
Troy Clifton [http://community.zenoss.org/people/tclifton] created the discussion

"Re: Monitor EATON Rack Environmental Monitors?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/66228#66228

Sorry for the delayed response...anyway, we have finally talked them into using SNMP and I have the mib loaded into Zenoss.  I'd like to think this is as easy as adding devices into a new device class (since they don't really fit into any of the defaults) and then when we get a trap from it, it'll get processed correctly?  Is it as simple as that, I'm a little new to this and SNMP isn't what we have been doing a lot of within Zenoss as of yet.
Thanks!
Troy

themactech
2012-05-05 03:15:11 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: Monitor EATON Rack Environmental Monitors?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/66215#66215

Even without the MIB imported you would still receive the traps.  The only difference is, without the MIB, the trap would probably show up as:

trap 1.3.6.x.x.x.x.x.x.x received from device yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

If the MIB is imported properly and indeed covers all the OIDs sent by the device, it would use the MIB to translate and you would instead get

trap "man the #$@#$ blew up on port 5" received from device yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy  (I'm paraphrasing of course...)

If you have one of these devices you can take offline to test (or you have a spare) you can test by provoquing failures that will generate traps.

Manuel

themactech
2012-05-05 03:17:17 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: Monitor EATON Rack Environmental Monitors?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/66216#66216

Oh, if you get a trap that is NOT in the MIB dictionary (might happen), save the event, you can use that received trap to create a transform that will turn that nameless trap into a human readable event.

Manuel