Time to upgrade to 4.2?
Andreas Falk
2012-09-19 17:03:22 UTC
Andreas Falk [http://community.zenoss.org/people/falk] created the discussion

"Time to upgrade to 4.2?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68663#68663

Hi there.

We have an 3.2.1 installation with about 1k devices.
How many of you out there have updated you prod env to 4.2?

Are there any issues that needs to be fixed before doing the jump?

Well, upgrade is perhaps a modified truth. New install with a new server OS is more like it this time around.

The only issue we have on 3.2.1 is that zentrap dies repeatedly. But this has been workaround(ed) with a cron job.
Otherwise it work like it should for us..

So now the question stands. When to do the update :)

Every idea, tip, comment are warmly appreciated.

--
Regards Falk

nilie
2012-09-19 17:39:44 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Time to upgrade to 4.2?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68664#68664

Normally you should be the one to lead this upgrade process. Start by setting up a pilot and make sure you test every aspect you are interested in. That's what we're doing right now in our organization, we're putting the new version to the test hoping to uncover and solve as many problems as possible before moving to production environment. In order for  our testing process to be relevant, we took one device from each class and monitored it in paralel with the old and new version of Zenoss Core. So far eveything looks good, we didn't find any issues and we will soon start the second phase, planning for the migration. Luckily for us, we decided to move to 64bit a long time ago when we migrated to v3 so now we can import the performance history without need to convert it first. This could be an issue for you if your current Zenoss instance is a 32bit one and you want to move the performance history to the new version. Also make sure you check compatibility of any Zenpacks you have installed to see if they work with v4 (so far, a lot of them don't).

Andreas Falk
2012-09-19 19:40:54 UTC
Andreas Falk [http://community.zenoss.org/people/falk] created the discussion

"Re: Time to upgrade to 4.2?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68682#68682

Thats about how I have planned it.
Deploy a vm and try out some devices.

But many things don't really show until the enviroment is under pressure.
Zendeamons problems and so forth. But as you say, time to test and se whats breaks :)

--
Regards Falk

jcurry
2012-09-21 12:30:18 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Time to upgrade to 4.2?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68696#68696

What is your current OS?  If you are on RedHat / CentOS then my understanding is that the deployment script from the ZCA does a good job on the upgrade.  I am a SuSE shop so an "upgrade" is not possible as we only have RedHat / CentOS support at the moment for 4.2 so I would not recommend taking a reasonably-sized production environment up to 4.2.

One thing I have been developing for upgrade scenarios is a set of scripts that dump the Zope database to flat files with a view to then running diff on the output files from the 3.x and 4.x environment.  So far I have:

collectors_to_file.py
deviceClasses_to_file.py
devices_to_file.py
events_to_file.py
eventTransforms_to_file.py
groups_to_file.py
locations_to_file.py
maintWins_to_file.py
mibs_to_file.py
processes_to_file.py
systems_to_file.py
users_to_file.py

Output of each type is sorted so, hopefully, diff'ing the files should provide reasonable results.

I am looking for beta testers so please send me a note if you want to try them ( mailto:***@skills-1st.co.uk ***@skills-1st.co.uk ).

Cheers,
Jane

Andreas Falk
2012-09-26 06:38:44 UTC
Andreas Falk [http://community.zenoss.org/people/falk] created the discussion

"Re: Time to upgrade to 4.2?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68747#68747

We are an Ubuntu (.deb) shop.
So it's going to be away from the norm over here with .rpm dists.

But it's only another dialect to use.

--
Regards Falk

mikea730
2013-06-03 22:14:49 UTC
mikea730 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mikea730] created the discussion

"Re: Time to upgrade to 4.2?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73458#73458

Jane,

Have you found any solutions to upgrading to 4.2 on SUSE?  We would like to upgrade as well but we're running SUSE also.  Considering converting to RedHat if we have to.  Any idea if that's even possible without starting from scratch?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!