looking for suggestions on eliminating a bad polling cycle skewing graphs
me2
2012-09-18 13:20:43 UTC
me2 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/me2] created the discussion

"looking for suggestions on eliminating a bad polling cycle skewing graphs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68641#68641

hello.

v3.2.1 on centos vm box.
Plenty of free memory
Very low cpu load on localhost
The destination being polled is in the middle of the night so load is low on that box also.

I have 4 data points being graphed on one report.

They are gauges and rps (requests per second).

The one I am having problems with is blocks per second. Normally this is low, between 1-30 depending on how busy an interface is.
On one specific oid, I get a poilling result that is way below the minimum number I have told it...0.

The issue I have is when this shows up it ruins the graph because it skews all the other number from other data points. Once I deleted the rrd the others come back of course and this one starts to rebuild. I have attached a graph showing this. Does anyone have ideas on how to eliminate this? The results can't be a negative number.

There is no consistency as to what device I am polling when this value is returned. I received it back 4-5 times out of 50 devices in a 24 hr period.
I am ruling out network latency because the other oids on the boxes come back fine.

thanks for your ideas.

Jay

the graph is attached

kb8u
2012-09-20 20:27:52 UTC
kb8u [http://community.zenoss.org/people/kb8u] created the discussion

"Re: looking for suggestions on eliminating a bad polling cycle skewing graphs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68676#68676

"On one specific oid, I get a poilling result that is way below the minimum number I have told it...0."

What do you mean by "told it"?  The .rrd file should drop readings below the minimum if you set it at Monitoring Template -> datasource -> (select blocks per second)-> edit datasource -> "RRD Minimum"

You will need to delete the .rrd and let zenoss re-create it after you change this to have it take effect.

You can also change the graph so it won't graph below 0 by choosing graph definition->View and edit details -> set Min Y to 0

me2
2012-09-22 21:10:59 UTC
me2 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/me2] created the discussion

"Re: looking for suggestions on eliminating a bad polling cycle skewing graphs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68700#68700

thanks for the reply and detail....

This below was done with rrd files deleted fter save......

"The .rrd file should drop readings below the minimum if you set it at Monitoring Template -> datasource -> (select blocks per second)-> edit datasource -> "RRD Minimum""

The above didn't work....

I will try this............