Unable to make User or Group changes
thomas
2012-08-31 11:29:53 UTC
thomas [http://community.zenoss.org/people/thomas] created the discussion

"Unable to make User or Group changes"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68330#68330

I have a Zenoss CORE 3.2.1 installation (source installed and everything) which appears to have fubar'ed itself. The problem is that I am unable to make changes to existing users or groups, as well as unable to create users or groups via the webinterface. When I click the "Add new User" it simply just goes back to Zenusers view instead of presenting the Add New User popup window.

I have tried with Javascript console enabled, and I can see that I get an error that http:// http://<hostname>:8080/zport/dmd/ZenUsers/js/MochiKit.js is not found. When accessing this URL I get a 404 Page not found error from Zope. So I guess that the problem is infact this file not beeing served by Zope?

I have tried on another 3.2.1 installation, and this URL will infact present me with the javascript source.

I have tried to browse my filesystem, and the file is located in $ZENHOME/Products/ZenUtils/js/MochiKit.js, also when browsing via the http:// http://<hostname>:8080/zport/js/manage_workspace I can see MochiKit.js and see the source. So the file seems to be correct.

But somehow Zope has lost this file? But how to recreate/refind it, I do not know, and searching the forums yielded no results. I have tried all the usual stuff, including:

* restart zenoss
* reboot server
* zendmd -> reindex()
* run buildjs.sh script from source directory

but no luck... As this is a production install, I'm rather afraid that something has broken, but I really need to get this fixed.

Hope that somebody can help?!

thomas
2012-09-03 07:47:44 UTC
thomas [http://community.zenoss.org/people/thomas] created the discussion

"Re: Unable to make User or Group changes"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68358#68358

Now I have found the problem and a somewhat hack-solution to the problem.

What has happened is, that a user named "js" had been created, and when this user was created, http:// http://<hostname>:8080/zport/dmd/ZenUsers/js now points to the users preference-page, so http:// http://<hostname>:8080/zport/dmd/ZenUsers/js/MochiKit.js is (true) no longer a valid URL, so all fetches to the Javascript library now returns 404.

I went to http:// http://<hostname>:8080/zport/dmd/ZenUsers/manage and renamed the "js" user to "js2" and now everything works as they should.

Apparently there is no validation if "js" can be a valid username, and nothing tries to catch this situation and serve the Javascript files if a user is infact created.