Monitoring traffic drops
tzel
2013-08-22 08:49:57 UTC
tzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/tzel] created the discussion

"Monitoring traffic drops"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74433#74433

I am trying to figure out a way to monitor a certain uplink on traffic drops, is there anybody that can point me in the right direction?

For example we have a switch doing 40G, we would like to be alerted when the traffic drops more then 5G within a certain time.

tzel
2013-08-22 08:51:02 UTC
tzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/tzel] created the discussion

"Re: Monitoring traffic drops"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74434#74434

Oh, please keep in mind that I can not set static numbers because the traffic is not the same every day.

2013-08-22 12:15:52 UTC

"Re: Monitoring traffic drops"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74437#74437

You could probably use the caculated performance zenpack and some scripting... There was some thought about using things that fall out of standard deviation in a Zenpack, but the ZCA didn't get funding for that... If you'd like to donate towards that from zcaportal.org we could work on that. Also, you could just hire a consultant to create a zenpack that does what you want...

For me, the issue is you'd need one RRD graph that was averaging the traffic over your time, and caculated that number - 5Gb to create a threshold to apply. Then the next poll it would trigger the threshold I think...

CLASSE Computer Group

j053ph4
2013-08-22 20:08:05 UTC
j053ph4 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/j053ph4] created the discussion

"Re: Monitoring traffic drops"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74471#74471

We do something similar to look for memory leaks, but the idea is to use 'getRRDValue' to retrieve the value of the datapoint averaged over some period of time and then using that value as the theshold.

For example, given a datapoint "OldGen_used", we set a Maximum threshold of:

*here.getRRDValue('OldGen_used', 'end-7d', None, 'AVERAGE') * 1.25*

so this means the threshold is breached if the datapoint is 125% greater than it has been over the last week.

We also do this to compare between datapoints.  For example, given a datpoint "Heap_Memory_Used" and "Heap_Memory_Max", we define the max threshold as :

*here.getRRDValue('Heap_Memory_max') * .9*

so that the threshold is breached when the "used" is greater than 90% of Max.

Hope this helps,

Joseph

tzel
2013-08-23 05:46:45 UTC
tzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/tzel] created the discussion

"Re: Monitoring traffic drops"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74473#74473

Joseph,

Thats awesome thank you! I will have a look into this hopefully today.