Windows process/service graphing in Version 4.2
stwainer
2012-08-31 15:53:46 UTC
stwainer [http://community.zenoss.org/people/stwainer] created the discussion

"Windows process/service graphing in Version 4.2"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68334#68334

I have Windows servers that live in the /Server/Windows container. They use the monitoring template Device_WMI and I get get graphs
of CPU utilization and whatnot. What I really need is to watch the memory of a Windows process on two of these Windows servers. I can
easily find the process under Components in the Windows Services category. Clicking on the service I enabled monitoring (zMonitor).
when I look at the service in the server and highlight it, i can see that the staus is "UP" and that the Monitoring box is checked,
but "No Graph Data" is displayed.

I've seen the topic of Windows Processes in the forum before, but I can't seem to find exact instructions for Zenoss Core version
4.2.0 on how to get graphs ( specifically memory usage) of Windows Services.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

dpetzel
2012-09-01 02:05:22 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Windows process/service graphing in Version 4.2"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68369#68369

For the sake of clarify in Zenoss a process is different than a Window service. It sounds like your looking at the service components, I'm not sure if there a component template for that in the 4.x stuff, however I would expect an OSProcess compontent template. Do you see processes under components?

If not you might need to add the .exe processes your interested to the OS Processes section, and re-model your device.

stwainer
2012-09-04 15:37:52 UTC
stwainer [http://community.zenoss.org/people/stwainer] created the discussion

"Re: Windows process/service graphing in Version 4.2"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68388#68388

The process that I am looking at lives under components/ Windows Services.

kerickson
2012-09-04 22:22:04 UTC
kerickson [http://community.zenoss.org/people/kerickson] created the discussion

"Re: Windows process/service graphing in Version 4.2"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68394#68394

The Windows Service WMI device class Win32_Service ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa394418(v=vs.85).aspx http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa394418(v=vs.85).aspx) doesn't expose performance counters. With Zenoss, you'll need to do as dpetzel suggests and work with the process instead. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa394372(v=vs.85).aspx http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa394372(v=vs.85).aspx.

Just like in Windows 7 Task Manager!

By the way, I recommend the Powershell WMI Explorer for looking at WMI classes. It's available at http://thepowershellguy.com/blogs/posh/archive/2007/03/22/powershell-wmi-explorer-part-1.aspx http://thepowershellguy.com/blogs/posh/archive/2007/03/22/powershell-wmi-explorer-part-1.aspx

stwainer
2012-09-04 22:55:48 UTC
stwainer [http://community.zenoss.org/people/stwainer] created the discussion

"Re: Windows process/service graphing in Version 4.2"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68403#68403

Eek! I guess I'll have to wait for someone with skills that are beyond mine.

Thanks

Steve