eMail alerts in 4.2
themactech
2012-09-17 13:54:14 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"eMail alerts in 4.2"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68607#68607

I have a 4.2 newbie question, I installed in a VM using the install documentation with a basic CentOS (no gui) and my zenoss is up and running.  However I can't seem to send out alert emails.

In 3.x, I would setup a postfix server on the zenoss server itself, is that still necessary with RabbitMQ or does RabbitMQ include the mail server functionality?

Thanks

Manuel

jshardlow
2012-09-17 14:05:02 UTC
jshardlow [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jshardlow] created the discussion

"Re: eMail alerts in 4.2"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68608#68608

I believe that you'll still have to install postfix in order to send out alert emails.

nilie
2012-09-17 14:17:04 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: eMail alerts in 4.2"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68609#68609

If all you want is to send emails, you don't need an SMTP server, even though CentOS v6 comes with Postfix installed as the default system mailer. No matter if you use Postfix or not, you have to configure Zenoss with the address of a SMTP server (be it on the local host or on a remote server) that will accept messages and forward them to their final destination.

themactech
2012-09-17 14:23:26 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: eMail alerts in 4.2"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68610#68610

I always setup the zenoss server as a mail server, and if the client can't open port 25 outbound, I configure postfix to reroute the alerts via their mail gateway.  I also setup the zenoss server as it's own DNS server and setup the client's DNS server as a forwarder.  This way I have the same build regardless of the client's infrastructure or lack there-of in many of our cases.  Since we specialize in the A/V market, many of our client's have less than stellar IT infrastructure.

I have installed a minimal CentOS and added components as needed because I wanted the system to be as barebones as possible.  Therefore Postfix is not currently installed.

When I tried to install Postfix with yum, it ran into an issue where it could not find MySQL (as a dependency) because it was looking for an older version that what I installed for the Zenoss install.

I will fudge around to get postfix up and running and give it another shot.

Manuel

jshardlow
2012-09-17 14:42:53 UTC
jshardlow [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jshardlow] created the discussion

"Re: eMail alerts in 4.2"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68612#68612

Yeah there's a known 'issue' in that both the community MySQL and mysql-libs (which is a postfix dependancy) both like to put language files into /usr/share/mysql. Which of course creates a bit of a conflict. It's been decided that this won't be addressed from a Zenoss point of view: http://jira.zenoss.com/jira/browse/ZEN-2668 http://jira.zenoss.com/jira/browse/ZEN-2668

The only way to get round it is to force on the installation of whichever of MySQL or mysql-libs you install last. yum won't be too helpful in this regard, so using rpm with --nodeps (maybe --force as well) should do the truck. It's a nasty fudge, but the only way round the problem.

themactech
2012-09-18 13:22:06 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: eMail alerts in 4.2"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68653#68653

Here is my solution so far, time will tell if this is stable (that is the point of testing in a VM).

I found a SQL repo that claimed to have the libraries included in it for the Postfix install.  It seems to be current version of SQL (5.5.27).

So I followed the installation guide, except when it comes to the part of installing the 3 MySQL RPMs.

Instead:

sudo pico /etc/yum.repos.d/MariaDB.repo

# MariaDB 5.5 repository list
# http://downloads.mariadb.org/mariadb/repositories/ http://downloads.mariadb.org/mariadb/repositories/
[mariadb]
name = MariaDB
baseurl = http://yum.mariadb.org/5.5/centos6-amd64 http://yum.mariadb.org/5.5/centos6-amd64
gpgcheck=1

save and exit

sudo yum -y --nogpgcheck install MariaDB-server MariaDB-client MariaDB-shared

After my zenoss is all up and running, I did:

sudo yum -y install postfix

and postfix installed without any issue or alerts and is working fine, I now get all my alerts.

Manuel

jshardlow
2012-09-18 13:32:04 UTC
jshardlow [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jshardlow] created the discussion

"Re: eMail alerts in 4.2"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68642#68642

Interesting. Though what you have there is not actually MySQL, it's MariaDB which is a branch off MySQL. Whilst MariaDB is designed to be a drop-in replacement for MySQL, some of the technology inside is completely different. I don't think it should cause you any problems, but problems could potentially crop up in the future of one of the parties involved makes some changes.

themactech
2012-09-18 14:12:27 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: eMail alerts in 4.2"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68654#68654

Well I would not do this on a production system but since I am in the testing phase, consider me the guinea pig for MariaDB in Zenoss  :-)

If I run into problems, I will drop to the floor in a fetal position and weep, then I will post about the issues I ran into here.

Manuel

nilie
2012-09-21 03:12:40 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: eMail alerts in 4.2"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68692#68692

Don't need to bother with MariaDB. If you're runnig CentOS, MySQL offers a compatibility module that will take care of the dependency. Here are the steps :
* Install Postfix or keep it installed if it is already there
* When removing MySQL, *do not remove mysql-libs.x86_64* which contains a dependency for Postfix
* When installing MySQL v5.5, download and install *MySQL-shared-compat-5.5.27-1.el6.x86_64.rpm*, this will obsolete the offending librariy and replace it with a new one that insures backward compatibility
No need to force anything, just allow yum to obsolete one single library, this usually works flawless on a fresh install of CentOS.

Quote from http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/linux-installation-rpm.html http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/linux-installation-rpm.html  :

"This package includes the shared libraries for older releases. It contains single-threaded and thread-safe libraries. Install this package if you have applications installed that are dynamically linked against older versions of MySQL but you want to upgrade to the current version without breaking the library dependencies."

jshardlow
2012-09-21 10:31:20 UTC
jshardlow [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jshardlow] created the discussion

"Re: eMail alerts in 4.2"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68679#68679

Thanks nilie, works a treat. A much nicer fix than forcing stuff on.

nilie
2012-09-21 14:22:25 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: eMail alerts in 4.2"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68680#68680

One more remark here, my example mentions version 5.5.27-1 because that's the MySQL version I've downloaded but of course, you have to use the right version that matches all other MySQL components (server, client and library). My mistake, I did a careless copy&paste in my post.

John O'Shaughnessy
2012-10-19 04:35:38 UTC
John O'Shaughnessy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/JohnO] created the discussion

"Re: eMail alerts in 4.2"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69353#69353

Excellent find!  Thank you for taking the time to share the solution.

John