how to distribute poll query time for httpmonitor?
Dmitry Kalamkarov
2012-10-20 15:11:35 UTC
Dmitry Kalamkarov [http://community.zenoss.org/people/bionic] created the discussion

"how to distribute poll query time for httpmonitor?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69402#69402

I am using http://zenoss.vp.e-xact.com:8080/zport/dmd/ZenPackManager/packs/ZenPacks.zenoss.HttpMonitor ZenPacks.zenoss.HttpMonitor 2.0.3 with Zenoss 3.1.0 to mesure http response time from internal web servers in a cluster. The template is setup per /Device global class and applied to all web servers. I noticed that all the http queries happen to all web servers at exact the same time, which is not what I would like to do.  I would like to disperse query time for each server within 5 min cycle.

I thoght I could solve this by overwiting with local HttpMonitor template for each server, but it does not help.

Can anynody point to correct direction where to look? Modify collector settings? Is it even possible? Is it designed that way for any reason?

dpetzel
2012-10-21 00:21:00 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: how to distribute poll query time for httpmonitor?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69416#69416

I'm not sure there is a way to do this via collector configurations, nor am I aware of an intentional design decision. I tihnk the issue stems from the fact that the deamon simply wakes up and processes work.

Are you looking to just randomize the time the requests are made or are you looking to have a very defined amount of time between them? If you just want randomization, you could hack up a copyof the check_http.py script and implement a random sleep delay possibly.

Dmitry Kalamkarov
2012-10-21 01:09:18 UTC
Dmitry Kalamkarov [http://community.zenoss.org/people/bionic] created the discussion

"Re: how to distribute poll query time for httpmonitor?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69403#69403

That sounds like one of the options... though few major concerns:
1. Updates to those monitors will overrite the changes, so I will have to keep track of all cusom tweaks I am making.
2. If it will disperse to more than 60 sec, it will exceed zenoss timeout for those checks that run late. Well, may be 60 is good enough for me, but anyways...

Thanks for suggestion though.