Zenoss Restore Issues
dswope
2011-12-13 15:47:24 UTC
dswope [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dswope] created the discussion

"Zenoss Restore Issues"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63245#63245

I feel like an idiot for posting this but oh well. I have done a successful restore of Zenoss in the past and I don't recall it being a major ordeal so I didn't document my steps.

I have built a new v2.5.2 and have installed the zenpacks to prep for restore from a backup file "zenossfilesdaily.tgz". I have stopped Zenoss and tried as the zenoss user to run zenrestore --file=zenossfilesdaily.tgz but i get this error

[***@zenoss zenoss.installs]$ zenrestore --file=zenossfilesdaily.tgz

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1

I'm not sure what the deal is here, I didn't have this problem before.

jskeane
2011-12-14 00:08:13 UTC
jskeane [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jskeane] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss Restore Issues"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63277#63277

I do my restores using the following commands as the Zenoss user:

zenoss stop
zenrestore --file=<file>
zenoss start

It sounds like your file, which should be gzipped binary data, isn't in gzip format. What do you get if you run:

file zenossfilesdaily.tgz

Regards,

jskeane

dswope
2011-12-14 13:30:02 UTC
dswope [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dswope] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss Restore Issues"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63257#63257

Ok, I knew it had to be something ridiculous. the .tgz file is from the cron job in webmin and is not the "zenossbackup" file

I restored from August so I will just suffer with not having any data since then. I've had major issues with my current build, attribute errors when attempting to browse to Infrastructure and devices. Seems once Zenoss starts running like crap, there is hardly ever a resolution for it. So a restore is needed.

I got this now. Thanks