SQL 2008 R2 on 64bit - Zenoss Core 4
Robert Light
2012-10-10 15:07:28 UTC
Robert Light [http://community.zenoss.org/people/lighty9909] created the discussion

"SQL 2008 R2 on 64bit - Zenoss Core 4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68984#68984

Hi, new to Zenoss but managed to get the basics working through various resources. I have a need to monitor SQL and wonder if anyone is successfully monitoring SQL 2008 R2 on 64bit using the latest Zenoss Core 4?

Charles Wilkinson
2012-10-11 01:04:37 UTC
Charles Wilkinson [http://community.zenoss.org/people/charles81] created the discussion

"Re: SQL 2008 R2 on 64bit - Zenoss Core 4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69000#69000

It works without an issue for me on Zenoss Enterprise 4.1.1

The community ZenPacks read WMI as well so i can't imagine them having any issues.  If they do then you just figure out the correct WMI and point there instead.

Robert Light
2012-10-12 10:02:05 UTC
Robert Light [http://community.zenoss.org/people/lighty9909] created the discussion

"Re: SQL 2008 R2 on 64bit - Zenoss Core 4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69089#69089

Thanks Charles, I have noticed on one of the threads that there is a limitation for 64 bit on the WMI from a core zenpack but then i have found a zenpack from the community specifically for SQL on 64bit by John Field but requires Informant-sql-v2 (which isnt free).

I have two SQL DB servers in the device class:

SQL Server 2008 on Windows 2003 32bit - Monitoring ok
SQL Server 2008 R2 on Windows 2008 64bit - Device is monitored for Windows only no SQL information is displayed

Ryan Matte
2012-10-12 09:45:29 UTC
Ryan Matte [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte] created the discussion

"Re: SQL 2008 R2 on 64bit - Zenoss Core 4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69081#69081

Just enable WMI on the device and put it in the /Server/Windows/WMI/MSSQLServer class.  Make sure you configure zWinUser and zWinPassword on that class to the username and password that you are using for WMI.

Robert Light
2012-10-12 10:12:41 UTC
Robert Light [http://community.zenoss.org/people/lighty9909] created the discussion

"Re: SQL 2008 R2 on 64bit - Zenoss Core 4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69092#69092

Thanks for the reply Ryan,

As i said on the reply to Charles, I have two SQL 2008 boxes monitored in that device class and the one shows the SQL information (Win2k3 32bit) and the other (Win2k8 64bit) displays the Windows information but none of the SQL information is coming through.

I have added the user to the devices WMI security and configured the SNMP (but dont think it will help as we are using WMI) but no luck. What am i missing?

Ryan Matte
2012-10-15 13:15:18 UTC
Ryan Matte [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte] created the discussion

"Re: SQL 2008 R2 on 64bit - Zenoss Core 4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69176#69176

This really does sound like more of a Windows issue than a Zenoss issue.  You should try querying the WMI info via a means other than Zenoss to confirm whether or not it's a problem with the Zenoss.  I would guess that it isn't though based on the fact that you can collect the data fine from the other instance.

Robert Light
2012-10-15 15:02:07 UTC
Robert Light [http://community.zenoss.org/people/lighty9909] created the discussion

"Re: SQL 2008 R2 on 64bit - Zenoss Core 4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69182#69182

Thanks for the reply, i am using WMI Explorer and remotely viewing the WMI info. What am i missing?

Ryan Matte
2012-10-15 16:06:07 UTC
Ryan Matte [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte] created the discussion

"Re: SQL 2008 R2 on 64bit - Zenoss Core 4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69192#69192

Check the monitoring template in Zenoss for SQL Server and try to find the values in the template.

Robert Light
2012-10-15 16:57:26 UTC
Robert Light [http://community.zenoss.org/people/lighty9909] created the discussion

"Re: SQL 2008 R2 on 64bit - Zenoss Core 4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69185#69185

Tried a test and got output:

2012-10-14 15:42:40,939 ERROR zen.CollectorCmdBase: Unable to scan device xx.xx.xx.xx: No PerfMon objects to query
2012-10-14 15:42:40,942 INFO zen.collector.tasks: No value collected for \SQLServer:Buffer Manager\Buffer cache hit ratio from device xx.xx.xx.xx
2012-10-14 15:42:40,943 INFO zen.zenwinperf: 1 devices processed (0 datapoints)
2012-10-14 15:42:40,943 INFO zen.collector.scheduler: Tasks: 2 Successful_Runs: 1 Failed_Runs: 0 Missed_Runs: 0 Queued_Tasks: 0 Running_Tasks: 1

Sorry Ryan new to wmi

Ryan Matte
2012-10-15 17:33:46 UTC
Ryan Matte [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte] created the discussion

"Re: SQL 2008 R2 on 64bit - Zenoss Core 4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69188#69188

I'm honestly out of ideas.  Maybe someone one here who uses WMI more than I do can assist.

Dan Arnold
2012-10-18 16:51:59 UTC
Dan Arnold [http://community.zenoss.org/people/DanArnold] created the discussion

"Re: SQL 2008 R2 on 64bit - Zenoss Core 4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69361#69361

I am having the same issue none of my MSSQL 2008 R2 64 bit instances can be moniotred. I have tested and WMI is working correctly. Firewall is disabled and remote admintration is enabled. Looking to the log for zenwinperf all the counters come back as bad "zen,winperf.PerfRpc: Bad Counter for device"

John Greenfield
2012-10-25 03:34:04 UTC
John Greenfield [http://community.zenoss.org/people/TonicT] created the discussion

"Re: SQL 2008 R2 on 64bit - Zenoss Core 4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69524#69524

Dan and Robert. Your problem is most likely - as Charles pointed out - an incorrect counter value against what is displayed in performance monitor. This often happens when you are using SQL Express or SQL with a named instance. The best way to identify the bad counter is to open perfmon on the Windows box, add a counter and have
a look for the correct syntax...

By default Zenoss is looking for SQLServer, but you will most likely need MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS (or whatever you have configured as the named instance). Once you have that information, create a local template and change each datasource (perf counter) to match.

Charles Wilkinson
2012-10-20 13:43:25 UTC
Charles Wilkinson [http://community.zenoss.org/people/charles81] created the discussion

"Re: SQL 2008 R2 on 64bit - Zenoss Core 4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69382#69382

Are you referencing the correct perf counter?  Again, I'm on enterprise so I can't be certain I'm leading you in the right direction but more recent SQL counters seem to use perf counters like this:

\*MSSQL$INSTANCE*:Buffer Manager\Buffer cache hit ratio

where "INSTANCE" should be replaced with the name of your SQL instance.  If you only have a default instance then I think it's simply:

\*MSSQL*:Buffer Manager\Buffer cache hit ratio

But I can't confirm.

I'm fairly certain that SQLServer was for older SQL versions (default instance anyway):

\*SQLServer*:Buffer Manager\Buffer cache hit ratio

*******************************
I would create a sub-device class for 2008SQL and rename all the SQLServer references to MSSQL (if I'm right about the default instance name) then you can just define them locally for named instance and change the name.

Otherwise you could try and pull some trick stuff with custom variables for the SQL instance and then specify it for each device that uses the SQL template.

maybe something like cSQLInstance with a default name of MSSQL and your perf counters can look like this

\*${device.cSQLInstance}*:Buffer Manager\Buffer cache hit ratio.

(maybe here.cSQLInstance is better).

dpetzel
2012-10-20 13:57:00 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: SQL 2008 R2 on 64bit - Zenoss Core 4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69396#69396

Not specific to Core 4, but we had a similar discussion a while back for 3.x around 2008 64 bit: http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-4641#comment-2960 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-4641#comment-2960

Charles Wilkinson
2012-10-20 14:06:21 UTC
Charles Wilkinson [http://community.zenoss.org/people/charles81] created the discussion

"Re: SQL 2008 R2 on 64bit - Zenoss Core 4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69384#69384

Hmmm, if I'm reading dpetzel correctly then it seems like the community zenpack might be using the proper WMI Class name rather than the more human readable (I don't say "user friendly" cos the readable names are a pain to look up and get reference on.  Microsoft has the "proper" WMI class names all listed quite nicely.

But looking at what you're posting, if those are the default values that it looks for then it seems the zenpack you're using references the "human readable" names that I've given you.  As before, a pain in the neck since even nice tools like WMI Explorer will not show you the actual names that the zenpack needs to reference.

...or someone is going to point out how I can easily find/see them and I'll facepalm ;)

dpetzel
2012-10-20 14:19:48 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: SQL 2008 R2 on 64bit - Zenoss Core 4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69397#69397

I guess it depends... Its unclear (to me at least) *which* community zenpack we are talking about. There are several floating around, it would probably make sense to clarify which one we are talking about. Here are the ones I am aware of:

http://wiki.zenoss.org/ZenPack:WMI_MSSQL http://wiki.zenoss.org/ZenPack:WMI_MSSQL
http://wiki.zenoss.org/ZenPack:MS_SQL_2000/2005_Server_Performance http://wiki.zenoss.org/ZenPack:MS_SQL_2000/2005_Server_Performance
http://wiki.zenoss.org/ZenPack:MS_SQL_Database_Monitor http://wiki.zenoss.org/ZenPack:MS_SQL_Database_Monitor

On Core 3.x I was able to get http://wiki.zenoss.org/ZenPack:WMI_MSSQL http://wiki.zenoss.org/ZenPack:WMI_MSSQL working. I *DID* have to create a new template back then, I'm not sure if its been updated since, but I was able to determine the class names using WBEMTEST, and just enumerating classes.

Its super annoying that the naming format changes from a named instance to an unnamed instance, so I'm not sure 1 template can rule them all. Its been a really long time since I looked at this, and I don't remember if the template I created ever got included. Let me know if that pack using the2008 template doesnt work, and I'll what I can do about digging up the template I hacked up (discussed in the other thread).

Charles Wilkinson
2012-10-20 14:37:48 UTC
Charles Wilkinson [http://community.zenoss.org/people/charles81] created the discussion

"Re: SQL 2008 R2 on 64bit - Zenoss Core 4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69401#69401

Hmmm, if thats the case then the human readable names might actually be better in this instance since only that section of the WMI name changes.

It was this message that Robert Light posted from his error log which makes me believe he's using a zenpack from somewhere that has the "human readable" names:   2012-10-14 15:42:40,942 INFO zen.collector.tasks: No value collected for \SQLServer:Buffer Manager\Buffer cache hit ratio from device xx.xx.xx.xx

But really he's in version 4 and all the WMI mappings seem to use this new "Human readable" name so its likely what he needs.

I wonder if this would work for your issue in version 3:

Perf counter = Win32_PerfFormattedData_MSSQL${cSQLInstance}Locks

set the default of the cSQLInstance variable to: "SERVER_SQLServer"

any named instance would need to be: "MyInstance_MSSQLMyInstance"

Which is a pain to type and remember but *shrug*

dpetzel
2012-10-21 00:18:32 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: SQL 2008 R2 on 64bit - Zenoss Core 4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69400#69400

Hmm interesting.. you might be onto something. I'll need to test your theory when I get some time. On the surface seems like it could work though.

Randy Santos
2012-11-14 22:08:20 UTC
Randy Santos [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rsantos12184] created the discussion

"Re: SQL 2008 R2 on 64bit - Zenoss Core 4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69919#69919

I managed to get graph data on my sql2008R2 cluster (64bit) by rebooting zenoss.  I am running zenoss 4.2.0 SP1