Syslog message truncated
Albert C
2013-12-07 14:39:36 UTC
Albert C [http://community.zenoss.org/people/albert] created the discussion

"Syslog message truncated"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75446#75446

I am running Zenoss Core 4.2.4 on a VM. I notice when I send a syslog message with a carriage return and line feed to zenoss, the message will get truncated at the first carriage return and line feed.

For example, if I send +"The quick brown\n\rfox jumps over\n\rthe lazy dog", only "The quick brown"+ is received and displayed.
I confirmed this by checking the network trace using Wireshark, and checked the Zenoss's MySQL table.

How do I prevent this from happening?

Regards,
Albert

hydruid
2013-12-07 17:28:47 UTC
hydruid [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hydruid] created the discussion

"Re: Syslog message truncated"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75436#75436

I'm guessing because the "\n" portion causes a line break (or new line),
zenoss expects it to be in the normal "syslog standard" which is one line.

Take a look at this post, it's not exactly the same but the guy was able to
modify zenoss's syslog parser to accept what he needed:
http://community.zenoss.org/thread/15030 http://community.zenoss.org/thread/15030

Another thread to reference:
http://community.zenoss.org/thread/19878 http://community.zenoss.org/thread/19878