Cisco Errors Interface OID
aletatone
2013-03-06 11:25:05 UTC
aletatone [http://community.zenoss.org/people/aletatone] created the discussion

"Cisco Errors Interface OID"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72275#72275

Hi All,

Easy questions about OID.
I'm using 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.14 oid to monitor interfaces errors (set to DERIVE), and I set my threshold at 0.01
so I received an alert for every input error in the interfaces.
It's working fine. First of all I don't remember why i need to set threshod to 0.01 instead of 1
(i think i red it somewhere in this forum but i don't find the post) but it's not the question.

My problem is that as per cisco web site 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.14 oid should give me the same result
of "input errors" in "sh interface command" but it is happened that i received a bit different value.
Basically looking graphs for interface errors in Zenoss I saw graphed some errors which value were less than 1.
So I saw the error in the graphs but I didn't see this errors in "sh interface" command and I didn't
receive the alert (because it was less then 1).

I don't care about threshold, my problem is understand if it is possible or not that this OID gets
error value "less than 1" error per second and what it means.

Thanks
Alex

nilie
2013-03-06 21:32:46 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Cisco Errors Interface OID"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72293#72293

In show interface the value is a counter (errors) while your data point in Zenoss is graphed as rate (errors/sec) and see also RRD interpolation. So if you want to be alerted for every error, you will have to set threshold to something less than 1/300.

aletatone
2013-03-07 11:21:43 UTC
aletatone [http://community.zenoss.org/people/aletatone] created the discussion

"Re: Cisco Errors Interface OID"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72300#72300

thanks...

so if zenoss does the snmp query every 300 sec and I want an alarm for every error I have to set threshold to 0,003...
isn't it? does zenoss accept 0,003 value for thresholds?

James Newman
2013-03-07 14:32:47 UTC
James Newman [http://community.zenoss.org/people/JimForTheWin] created the discussion

"Re: Cisco Errors Interface OID"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72303#72303

milli and micro. 0.001  and 0.0000001 respectively.

Normally you see these as a result of averaging.  Say you're polling every 300 seconds,  and you only get 1 error in that polling cycle,  you're getting an average of 1/300 = 0.00333..  errors per second.