Set monitoring for SMTP greyed out?
taupehat
2011-11-15 20:11:43 UTC
taupehat [http://community.zenoss.org/people/taupehat] created the discussion

"Set monitoring for SMTP greyed out?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62641#62641

Zenoss 3.2.1 on RHEL, I'm trying to enable SMTP monitoring for specific linux servers but when I try to enable monitoring under IP services, it's greyed out:

So I click on smtp there and have done Enable Monitoring and saved changes, but no joy:

What else needs to happen to implement this change?

taupehat
2011-11-21 21:47:31 UTC
taupehat [http://community.zenoss.org/people/taupehat] created the discussion

"Re: Set monitoring for SMTP greyed out?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62752#62752

Bump.  (with apologies)

Still can't figure this one out.  Have tried Google and the IRC channel.

jcurry
2011-11-22 10:36:19 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Set monitoring for SMTP greyed out?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62757#62757

There was a bug around this but I thought that it was solved by 3.2.1.

A couple of thoughts:
1) Have you restarted the zenprocess daemon - zenprocess restart
2) Try claering your browser cache - I got caught by this on something different yesterday.

I have a 3.2.1 and my Monitoring is NOT greyed out.

Cheers,
Jane

taupehat
2011-11-23 19:19:02 UTC
taupehat [http://community.zenoss.org/people/taupehat] created the discussion

"Re: Set monitoring for SMTP greyed out?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62795#62795

I tried restarting zenprocess and using a fresh browser, but still greyed out.  Looks like the bug isn't fixed after all.

Is there a mysql query I could issue to enable this or something?  It's pretty important that this be monitored on the servers in question.

2011-11-23 19:24:20 UTC

"Re: Set monitoring for SMTP greyed out?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62801#62801

There may be something in ZenDMD, but I don't know what it is...

2011-11-22 12:59:30 UTC

"Re: Set monitoring for SMTP greyed out?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62761#62761

I see this too on 3.2.1 core, but worse for the chances of this being fixed is it's in 4.1.1 Enterprise... so unless we can get some pressure to fix in 4.2 betas . . . I'm not sure what the exact issue is - I can set monitored for some processes, and not for others.

jcurry
2011-11-23 19:45:27 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Set monitoring for SMTP greyed out?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62802#62802

This was definitely fixed - the fix is in changeset http://dev.zenoss.com/trac/changeset/25791  against my ticket http://dev.zenoss.com/trac/ticket/7842 http://dev.zenoss.com/trac/ticket/7842 . It was fixed back around February this year.

I don't currently have a 3.2.1 Zenoss running but it looks like it is only about 4 lines in one file.  I would have a look at that file on your 3.2.1 system and see whether the patch actually made it through to that build.  If you need to apply the changeset, look at the discussion here - http://community.zenoss.org/message/58864#58864 http://community.zenoss.org/message/58864#58864 .

Tomorrow I may have access to my 3.2.1 system but hopefully you will have resolved it by then :) .

Please report back here so others can follow.

Cheers,
jane

taupehat
2011-11-23 20:51:02 UTC
taupehat [http://community.zenoss.org/people/taupehat] created the discussion

"Re: Set monitoring for SMTP greyed out?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62798#62798

Unfortunately, that didn't work:

(***@FOO)(~)$ zenpatch 25791
Getting patch from Internet...
http://dev.zenoss.org/trac/changeset/25791?format=diff&new=25791
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  1004    0  1004    0     0   2500      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 17897
determining strip size for /opt/zenoss/Products/r25791.patch

Applying patch with strip=3
patch -b --strip=3 < r25791.patch
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file Zuul/infos/component/osprocess.py
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]
Apply anyway? [n]
Skipping patch.
2 out of 2 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file Zuul/infos/component/osprocess.py.rej

Now it may well be that I should select "y" when prompted, but I don't rightly know.  Here's the osprocess.py.rej file:

***************
*** 15,19 ****
  from Products.Zuul.decorators import info
  from Products.Zuul.interfaces import IOSProcessInfo
- from Products.Zuul.infos.component import ComponentInfo

  class OSProcessInfo(ComponentInfo):
--- 15,19 ----
  from Products.Zuul.decorators import info
  from Products.Zuul.interfaces import IOSProcessInfo
+ from Products.Zuul.infos.component import ComponentInfo, ServiceMonitor

  class OSProcessInfo(ComponentInfo):
***************
*** 47,54 ****
      failSeverity = property(getFailSeverity, setFailSeverity)

      @property
-     def usesMonitorAttribute(self):
-         """OSProcess monitored() does not check the monitor attribute, so do
-         not allow the user to set it. canBeMonitor is True (from the base
-         class)"""
-         return False
--- 47,53 ----
      failSeverity = property(getFailSeverity, setFailSeverity)

+     monitor = ServiceMonitor()
+
      @property
+     def monitored(self):
+         return self._object.monitored()
~
If I'm doing it wrong, please feel free to let me know...

jcurry
2011-11-24 10:31:26 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Set monitoring for SMTP greyed out?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62809#62809

Hmm.  I am not a zenpatch guru but it looks to me like you still have the old osprocess.py.

I have run up my 3.2.1 system - it was a new build, not an upgrade from anything earlier, and the Monitoring button for processes on devices IS active - without any explicit patching.  Do you know the history of your Zenoss installation - is it a new buidl at 3.2.1 or has it come through an upgrade path??

The only file that gets changed by the patch is $ZENHOME/Products/Zuul/infos/component/osprocess.py.  I have compared this file on my 3.1 system that had been patched with "zenpatch 25791", with the same file on my 3.2.1 system and they are identical - and both work.

I think I would take my own backup of this osprocess.py file (just for safety) and run the zenpatrch again and say "Y" to apply patch anyway.  The zenpatch process should backup the old file in osprocess.py.orig so choose a different backup filename for your extra backup.

I would recycle all daemons when this is complete.

Usual rules apply on taking system backups etc especially if this is a production system ;)

The file is only 53 lines long so I will post it here.
Cheers,
Jane

#
# This program is part of Zenoss Core, an open source monitoring platform.
# Copyright (C) 2010, Zenoss Inc.
#
# This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
# under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 as published by
# the Free Software Foundation.
#
# For complete information please visit: http://www.zenoss.com/oss/ http://www.zenoss.com/oss/
#

from zope.interface import implements
from Products.Zuul.decorators import info
from Products.Zuul.interfaces import IOSProcessInfo
from Products.Zuul.infos.component import ComponentInfo, ServiceMonitor

class OSProcessInfo(ComponentInfo):
    implements(IOSProcessInfo)

    @property
    @info
    def processClass(self):
        return self._object.osProcessClass()

    @property
    def processName(self):
        return self._object.name()

    def getAlertOnRestart(self):
        return self._object.alertOnRestart()
    def setAlertOnRestart(self, value):
        if value is not None:
            self._object.zAlertOnRestart = value
        else:
            self._object.deleteZenProperty('zAlertOnRestart')
    alertOnRestart = property(getAlertOnRestart, setAlertOnRestart)

    def getFailSeverity(self):
        return self._object.getFailSeverity()
    def setFailSeverity(self, value):
        if value is not None:
            self._object.zFailSeverity = value
        else:
            self._object.deleteZenProperty('zFailSeverity')

taupehat
2011-11-28 22:33:05 UTC
taupehat [http://community.zenoss.org/people/taupehat] created the discussion

"Re: Set monitoring for SMTP greyed out?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62850#62850

So I ran zenpatch, validated that I have the correct osprocess file, and cycled all services.  Still no luck with the monitoring.

I'm wondering if this shouldn't be in ipservices.py someplace though?  SMTP is not showing as an OS Process after all.

taupehat
2011-11-28 22:54:13 UTC
taupehat [http://community.zenoss.org/people/taupehat] created the discussion

"Re: Set monitoring for SMTP greyed out?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62851#62851

I should also point out that this is specific to SNMP as other services can be overridden from what I can see.

Jonathan Nalley
2012-04-16 19:59:08 UTC
Jonathan Nalley [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jnalley] created the discussion

"Re: Set monitoring for SMTP greyed out?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65923#65923

Did you ever get any solution to this issue taupehat? I'm having the same issue with other IP services.  Also on 3.2.1

subhranshu dwivedi
2012-08-13 04:53:00 UTC
subhranshu dwivedi [http://community.zenoss.org/people/subhranshu.dwivedi] created the discussion

"Re: Set monitoring for SMTP greyed out?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/67781#67781

When i am running the zenpatch, i am getting the following errors:

#zenpatch 25791
Getting patch from Internet...
http://dev.zenoss.org/trac/changeset/25791?format=diff&new=25791 http://dev.zenoss.org/trac/changeset/25791?format=diff&new=25791
determining strip size for /usr/local/zenoss/Products/r25791.patch

Applying patch with strip=3
patch -b --strip=3 < r25791.patch
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file Zuul/infos/component/osprocess.py
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n] n
Apply anyway? [n] y
*Hunk #1 FAILED at 15.*
*Hunk #2 FAILED at 47.*
2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file Zuul/infos/component/osprocess.py.rej

Dont know what is the issue, i am using :
*"Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS" 2.6.24-26-server #1 SMP Tue Dec 1 19:19:20 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux*
*Zenoss 3.2.1*

*some ip services have monitored option greyed out.*

*
*