When one SNMP-based graph breaks, all graphs on a device break
Zac Bentley
2012-03-16 13:33:56 UTC
Zac Bentley [http://community.zenoss.org/people/zbbentley] created the discussion

"When one SNMP-based graph breaks, all graphs on a device break"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65262#65262

I have a device with a custom monitoring template. The template contains SNMP lookups that usually work, but sometimes return ungraphable output (i.e. "file not found") or the like. I'm OK with the custom-template-based graphs having some gaps in them; long term trends are all I'm really interested in anyway.

However, whenever any one graph has a gap (in other words, when a custom SNMP lookup fails to return parseable output), *all* of the graphs for a given device stop collecting--even the ones that don't come from my custom template. So, when I have a gap/failure in a custom-template-based graph on a particular device, I also get gaps in CPU utilization, memory usage, etc (from the Devices/Server template). Why is this? Is there any way that I could make this stop happening?

Thanks!

| Zenoss (http://www.zenoss.com/) | Zenoss 3.2.1 |
| OS (http://www.tldp.org/) | Linux (x86_64) 2.6.18 (Linux it 2.6.18-194.26.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue Nov 9 12:54:20 EST 2010 x86_64) |
| Zope (http://www.zope.org/) | Zope 2.12.1 |
| Python (http://www.python.org/) | Python 2.6.2 |
| Database (http://www.mysql.com/) | MySQL 5.0.77 (Ver 5.0.77) |
| RRD (http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool) | RRDtool 1.3.9 |
| Twisted (http://twistedmatrix.com/trac) | Twisted 8.1.0 |
| NetSnmp (http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/) | NetSnmp 5.3.2 |
| PyNetSnmp (http://www.zenoss.com/) | PyNetSnmp 0.29.13 |
| WMI (http://www.zenoss.com/) | Wmi 1.3.13 |

2012-03-16 14:40:21 UTC

"Re: When one SNMP-based graph breaks, all graphs on a device break"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65264#65264

When there's an issue doing SNMP monitoring, I think zenperfsnmp will stop monitoring a device for a while for performance reasons. The resolution would be either modifying zenoss code, or stopping "invalid for zenoss" snmp responses from the device.

Shane Scott
2012-03-16 15:23:46 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: When one SNMP-based graph breaks, all graphs on a device break"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65256#65256

That's exactly correct. Gaps can be caused by other problems besides snmp issues as well, however. Can you post a weekly view of one of your graphs?

Best,
--Shane

jplouis
2012-03-17 02:24:05 UTC
jplouis [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jplouis] created the discussion

"Re: When one SNMP-based graph breaks, all graphs on a device break"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65310#65310

The 4.2 and 4.1.1 versions of zenperfsnmp are better at dealing with problem OIDs. OIDs that don't return values are marked as bad and the rest of the OIDs are collected. Zenperfsnmp will still check OIDs marked bad when time permits