How can I tell if sudo syslog messages are being dropped?
jshardlow
2013-10-24 12:05:35 UTC
jshardlow [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jshardlow] created the discussion

"How can I tell if sudo syslog messages are being dropped?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75063#75063

Hello all,

Just a quick 4.2.x question. Can anyone point me in the right direction to see what may be causing some incoming (sudo) messages to drop? I'm not sure if it's one of my dodgy transforms.

I can see the sudo message coming into zensyslog and I can see it being referenced in zenhub, but I haven't maanged to find out whare something might tell me what is happening to the message.

I've got Event Console showing me all Status/Severity as by default the sudo stuff is sent straight to history which is fine. Nothing is showing up as /Unknown (or anywhere else!) so that can only mean it's been mapped and potentially dropped. I haven't touched the stock mapping of /Security/Sudo/sudo.

Thanks in advance!

Rob Eagle
2013-10-24 13:08:10 UTC
Rob Eagle [http://community.zenoss.org/people/reagle] created the discussion

"Re: How can I tell if sudo syslog messages are being dropped?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75054#75054

When you see the message come into syslog system - you might be able to determine the event class key and search for that mapping in the event console?
--Rob

jshardlow
2013-10-24 14:23:00 UTC
jshardlow [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jshardlow] created the discussion

"Re: How can I tell if sudo syslog messages are being dropped?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75065#75065

DOH problem solved. It might help if I look a bit further down the Event Console to see where the info level messages are! I'd been so busy setting another sudo alert up to critical I kept expecting it to appear at the top.

Slightly embarassing as I've spent most of the day on this... :8}