Internet interface best practices
briffle
2011-11-02 14:16:15 UTC
briffle [http://community.zenoss.org/people/briffle] created the discussion

"Internet interface best practices"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62349#62349

We have a firewall that plugs into a 100MB switch.  Also plugged into that switch is our internet device that is set at 25MB.  It is unmanaged, and is provided by our ISP.  (we have the switch in front of our firewall for failover, and for sniffing outside traffic from time to time).  Of course, it is also a 100MB interface, the throttling to 25MB is internal to that device.

Should I go into our firewall, and modify the ethernet adapter (the outside one) to tell zenoss its 25MB?  That seems like it would then better report when our internet connection is saturated.  A long time ago, I found a script that will change the loopback adapter from 100MB to whatever speed you set it to.. (we use loopbacks on linux for lots of data moving) and I could use it to modify the outside interfaces of our firewall connections..

I'm just wondering what unforseen repurcussions that could cause..

the adapterspeed.py script, in case anyone is curious (which I found in these forums a while back)

#!/usr/bin/env python
import sys
import Globals
from Products.ZenUtils.ZenScriptBase import ZenScriptBase
from transaction import commit

dmd = ZenScriptBase(connect=True).dmd

for dev in dmd.Devices.getSubDevices():
  if dev.id.startswith(sys.argv[1]):
   for interface in dev.os.interfaces():
    if interface.id.startswith(sys.argv[2]):
     interface.speed = float(sys.argv[3])
     interface.lockFromUpdates()
commit()

dpetzel
2011-11-03 01:27:34 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Internet interface best practices"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62383#62383

I wouldn't take this as a best practice, but just reading this now my initial reaction is to create a copy of the template for that interface and then just apply a threshold at 25MB as opposed to trying to trick Zenoss into a set speed.

I'm willing to bet others have other solutions as well, but figured I'd chime in.