OpenVZ - venet - SMTP errors
SamTzu
2013-04-14 17:42:32 UTC
SamTzu [http://community.zenoss.org/people/SamTzu] created the discussion

"OpenVZ - venet - SMTP errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72805#72805

Hi, I just installed ZenOss 3.x and noticed that it reports an SMTP error on monitored clients if they are OpenVZ clients with venet networking.
With veth Network Device there is no error when monitoring the same client.

I'm concluding that this is because venet uses (also) 127.0.0.2 for IP and this somehow confuses ZenOss when it tries to monitor SMTP.

Is there an easy fix for this?
I'm fairly new with ZenOss so maybe it would be easier to set up a rule to ignore that 127.0.0.2 IP?

Sam

jcurry
2013-04-15 11:37:10 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: OpenVZ - venet - SMTP errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72843#72843

I think you will find under service monitoring that only 2 services have monitoring turned on globally out-of-the-box.  One is the smtp port and the other is http.  I usually set the global monitoring for smtp to off and then configure it on explicitly for those devices that do supoort it.

Cheers,
Jane

SamTzu
2013-04-16 09:54:18 UTC
SamTzu [http://community.zenoss.org/people/SamTzu] created the discussion

"Re: OpenVZ - venet - SMTP errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72861#72861

Since I'm a "noob" with ZenOss I usually just use the /Server/Linux template for all our Linux servers and maybe add Apache and MySQL ZenPacs if necessery. I spent about a half an hour trying to disable SMTP monitoring on that template (without success) then tried copying the template with out the SMTP and then gave up on the problem and decided to return to it when an easier solution presents it self. I think I will try your suggestion after I locate the global settings for it.