Adding a Core for Zenoss
jeff.thorne
2013-07-17 14:11:43 UTC
jeff.thorne [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jeff.thorne] created the discussion

"Adding a Core for Zenoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74021#74021

We have a virtual server that is Centos 6 64-bit with one core. It has Zenoss on it. We are using VMware to host the virtuals. We would like to take it to two cores. I have done research and seen that it would cause the system to run slow. I was wondering since this is a version of Linux would this cause the system problems adding a additional core. Is there anything I have to do in the CentOS to get the new core installed or just shut it down and add it?

Andrew Kirch
2013-07-17 14:13:35 UTC
Andrew Kirch [http://community.zenoss.org/people/akirch] created the discussion

"Re: Adding a Core for Zenoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74022#74022

make sure the kernel supports SMP (if it's the stock centos kernel it will).  Shut it down and add the core, should run fine!

Andrew Kirch
Community Manager

jeff.thorne
2013-07-17 15:02:37 UTC
jeff.thorne [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jeff.thorne] created the discussion

"Re: Adding a Core for Zenoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74023#74023

Thanks that helped alot. I didn't know if you know if there is there a way to make a process in Zenoss to use the second core?

malik
2013-07-17 15:12:55 UTC
malik [http://community.zenoss.org/people/malik] created the discussion

"Re: Adding a Core for Zenoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74024#74024

You're referring to "processor affinity" - here's a clear article on achieving that: http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/setting-processor-affinity-certain-task-or-process.html http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/setting-processor-affinity-certain-task-or-process.html