Executing a command after event
Chris Blasko
2012-04-05 19:22:56 UTC
Chris Blasko [http://community.zenoss.org/people/chrisb] created the discussion

"Executing a command after event"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65741#65741

I'm trying to have a script executed on a remote Windows system after a certain event occurs.

I have the command working via winexe, the only issue I'm having is how on earth do I execute the command after an event is triggered?

Also, I'm having trouble with the ins and outs of how event monitoring is set up. But my main concern is the executing of a command.

kb8u
2012-04-06 18:54:33 UTC
kb8u [http://community.zenoss.org/people/kb8u] created the discussion

"Re: Executing a command after event"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65725#65725

See 'Creating Event Commands' in part 7.1.12.1 of the manual

http://community.zenoss.org/zenoss-guide/3.0-v03/ch07s01.htm http://community.zenoss.org/zenoss-guide/3.0-v03/ch07s01.htm

The ins and outs of event monitoring is more complicated.  It's very powerful and flexible but with that comes complexity.  I recommend reading Jane Curry's excellent paper on the subject at

http://www.skills-1st.co.uk/papers/jane/zenoss_event_management_paper.pdf http://www.skills-1st.co.uk/papers/jane/zenoss_event_management_paper.pdf

and devise your own experiments on the parts that aren't clear.

P.S. it looks like the events architecture will fundamentally change in zenoss 4.

themactech
2012-04-07 16:25:37 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: Executing a command after event"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65756#65756

The paid version of SNMP informant is supposed to allow you to extend it with scripts like netSNMP.  I have not tested this but talked with their tech support about it, it's on my to-do list to test it out.  You might be able to trigger your script on a simple SNMPwalk and have it trigger if conditions are correct.

Manuel