Custom alerting methods
Jo Rhett
2012-03-06 17:24:46 UTC
Jo Rhett [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jorhett] created the discussion

"Custom alerting methods"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64992#64992

I'm getting used to Zenoss after years of Nagios, Mon, Cacti, Cricket, etc.  Forgive me if this is obvious, but I can't seem to find how to create a custom alerting method. Not a rule or transformation, but specifically "something other than e-mail or page".

I have been reading through the docs and the book "Zenoss Core 3.x Network and System Monitoring" and I haven't found anything. I would be shocked if something as large and complex as Zenoss didn't support custom alerting methods.

FWIW, I am adapting the PagerDuty nagios plugin to work with Zenoss. I simply need to determine where/how to plug it in.

2012-03-06 18:12:32 UTC

"Re: Custom alerting methods"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64993#64993

While this will change extensively with v4, in v3, I beleive you can use pager as a catch all to execute commands, if not, look into event commands.

themactech
2012-03-06 20:26:14 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: Custom alerting methods"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64985#64985

Event commands can achieve this.  I have used event commands to take all the relevent data from an event, code it into an email and send it out.  I had a similar process at the other end decode the email and generate the event.  You could use the same process to trigger the workflow of your choice.

This method basically lets you pull any data from an event, and pass it as variables to a script of your making.  So anything you can script you can use as an alternate alert system.

Manuel