Monitoring HTTP Status
Navid Paya
2012-11-27 13:03:23 UTC
Navid Paya [http://community.zenoss.org/people/navidpaya] created the discussion

"Monitoring HTTP Status"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70183#70183

Hi
I'm trying to monitor the status of a page (200, 301, 404, 500). I tried to use the HTTPMonitor zenpack but it doesn't work. Sounds like it only monitors how fast a pagae loads and gives an alert based on load time and size. I'm looking for a way to tell if a page is producing a 200 status code and alert me otherwise. Any ideas? And I need to apply it to a large number of servers so it has to be scalable as well (for instance possible to use as a template).a

themactech
2012-11-27 19:28:34 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: Monitoring HTTP Status"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70175#70175

I use command scripts that use a curl command to pull data from a web page and parse it.  I assume you could do the same.  If a shell command can get you the info you need, just roll that shell command into a command template and it will apply to all your servers.

Let me know if you need more info.

Manuel

Navid Paya
2012-11-28 01:11:18 UTC
Navid Paya [http://community.zenoss.org/people/navidpaya] created the discussion

"Re: Monitoring HTTP Status"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70191#70191

Hi Manuel
Do you have any records of how you did it? I did a couple of scripts but couldn't get it right. It would be great if you can provide some details of how you did it or even better a sample of what you had. I have this curl one liner as a starter but not sure how to use it in a command script:

curl -IL --insecure -s -o /dev/null -w "%{http_code}" www.something.com

themactech
2012-11-28 02:07:14 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: Monitoring HTTP Status"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70176#70176

I will try and do this tomorrow, the VM I have now setup is on the wrong subnet for home, I'll fire it back up at the office and take a few minutes to do a write up.  If I forget, please ping me.

Manuel

Jay Kay
2012-11-28 05:17:23 UTC
Jay Kay [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcc2186] created the discussion

"Re: Monitoring HTTP Status"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70193#70193

Hey Navid,

Have you tried using HTTP monitor by reverting an expression on your Data source?  this would allow you to check a page only for when the item will appear uppon being checked.  In other words, under normal conditions, the page will not return a code 500 or in this case for text "this website is down"  but if you are checking for a reverted expression in the datasource of httpmonitor, then you can use that to alert you if this mentioned text appears on the site.
Or in your case, you can check for you web page error such as 500...300 or whatever else.

I hope this helps,

-J