Problem installing zenup
jarredm
2013-08-19 04:28:00 UTC
jarredm [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jarredm] created the discussion

"Problem installing zenup"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74393#74393

So I've been following the 4.2.4 upgrade procedure in the http://sourceforge.net/projects/zenoss/files/Documentation/zenoss-4.2.x-docs/zendocs-4.2.4/Zenoss_Core_Installation_01-072013-4.2-v11.pdf/download Zenoss Core 4 Installation Guide

In step 5 it says that if you are upgrading from 4.2.3 you must install the ZenUP patch management tool.  Now it doesn't give much gideance and I've been using this wiki page as well for additional help. http://wiki.zenoss.org/4.2.4_Upgrade http://wiki.zenoss.org/4.2.4_Upgrade

That page led me to this zenup install guide: http://wiki.zenoss.org/ZenUp http://wiki.zenoss.org/ZenUp http://wiki.zenoss.org/ZenUp http://wiki.zenoss.org/ZenUp

All of that has gone well up until the zenup wiki page tells me to install the patch with this command: $ zenup install zenoss_core-XXX.zup
Using the PS248 ZUP file that I downloaded from higher up on the wiki page I execute the install command which begins to do it's job until it arrives at the zenmigrate step at which time it spits out the following:

Running zenmigrate...
INFO:zen.migrate:Installing FixMysqlPermissions (4.2.3)
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
WARNING:zen.migrate:Recovering

So I can see that it is unable to access the mysql db and that it is using the root account.  However, I don't know what password it's trying to use.  I've tried running it with the mysql root password set to a variety of values used on this zenoss install and also set it to ''  as in blank.  What am I missing here.  It appears that I can't move on with the upgrade until I have this completed.

Benjamin Schwarcz
2013-10-31 09:14:36 UTC
Benjamin Schwarcz [http://community.zenoss.org/people/toxicgarden] created the discussion

"Re: Problem installing zenup"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75146#75146

sorry for bumping this old thread, but as i ran into the same problem, here's my solution:

the script uses the admin-user mentioned in /opt/zenoss/etc/global.conf
In my case, the password for the root-user wasn't right.

found out via strace. Now the update seems to work fine for me.