missed events
Keith Gates
2013-03-10 22:24:20 UTC
Keith Gates [http://community.zenoss.org/people/kgates] created the discussion

"missed events"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72331#72331

I think zenoss might have not sent out the event for 2 switches that went down this morning.

I can see the events in the event console  that the switches went down but I dont not know where to check to see if the event server picked up the switches went down and send out the alarm.

I checked zeneventlog, zeneventlogserver, and  zenactiond and did not see anything.

Thanks for your help,

Keith

jcurry
2013-03-12 12:48:05 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: missed events"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72371#72371

Are you saying that you can see EVENTS in the Event Console but ALERTS (email, paging,..) have not been sent?

If so, it is the zenactiond log that you need to check - he's the man that actually generates alerts.

Is this a Zenoss 4.x?  You don't have a zeneventlogserver daemon but 4.x does have a zeneventserver daemon.  Strictly in 4.x, zeneventserver processes your event TRIGGERS and passes them to zenactiond who processes your NOTIFICATIONS.

If you really cannot see any reference to the events in zenactiond.log then I would check the logging level of zenactiond and if it isn't at debug, you might try setting it to debug temporarily whilst you sort out what is going on.  You can either use the GUI (ADVANCED -> Settings -> Daemons, pick zenactiond -> edit config and change the logseverity to Debug) or you can edit $ZENHOME/etc/zenactiond.conf and set logseverity to 10.  Either way, you need to restart zenactiond.

Cheers,
Jane

Keith Gates
2013-03-12 15:03:13 UTC
Keith Gates [http://community.zenoss.org/people/kgates] created the discussion

"Re: missed events"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72363#72363

Thanks for the response, Jane.

Next time this happens I will put zenactions in debug mode.

Keith

Jordan W
2013-10-16 16:12:08 UTC
Jordan W [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jwhited] created the discussion

"Re: missed events"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74970#74970

apologies for digging up an old thread

I believe I have a similar issue in 4.2.4. Events that should be clearly hitting a trigger which is tied to an email notification are sometimes missed.

lack of zenactiond debug messages for the events in question indicate zenactiond may not be to blame but some other daemon up the chain.