Interface Utilization threshold not configured properly
rickysingh
2012-04-04 20:03:06 UTC
rickysingh [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rickysingh] created the discussion

"Interface Utilization threshold not configured properly"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65733#65733

Hi everyone,

I have a Cisco router with a GigabitEthernet WAN interface. It currently has a 10Mbps internet connection plugged into it. On the interface I configured the bandwidth as 10000 Kbps (i.e. 10 Mbps approx.).
In Zenoss, I have the High Utilization threshold configured for both ethernetCsmacd and ethernetCsmacd64 monitoring templates. The value in the Maximum Value field is as below,
(here.speed or 1e9)/8*.90

What I want to do is for Zenoss to send me an alert when the interface utilization reaches 90% of the configured speed/bandwidth. However with the above setting, I get an alert even if the speed reaches 9%. What am I doing wrong?
Please advise

Robert Booth
2012-04-04 22:16:33 UTC
Robert Booth [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rbooth] created the discussion

"Re: Interface Utilization threshold not configured properly"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65736#65736

rickysingh,

Can you bring up the "Details" display for that interface and post what is listed under "Speed"?

This will be the value Zenoss has modeled for that interface and will be used in the calculation.

-Rob

rickysingh
2012-04-05 01:26:59 UTC
rickysingh [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rickysingh] created the discussion

"Re: Interface Utilization threshold not configured properly"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65737#65737

Hi Rob, output is below.

Status:Up

Interface Name:GigabitEthernet0/0

Administrative Status:Up

Operational Status:Up

IP Address (Primary): http://172.18.120.241:8080/zport/dmd/Networks/208.181.95.0/208.181.95.64/ipaddresses/208.181.95.74 208.181.95.74

IP Addresses (All):208.181.95.74/28

MAC Address:E8:B7:48:72:9A:60

Type:ethernetCsmacd_64

Speed:10000000

Duplex Mode:halfDuplex

MTU:1500

Robert Booth
2012-04-05 19:27:40 UTC
Robert Booth [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rbooth] created the discussion

"Re: Interface Utilization threshold not configured properly"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65742#65742

rickysignh,

First... Please remove all data from the previous post except for the Speed: section.

Second.. All looks correct from what I can tell. Did you change anything on the monitoring template like the data points collected?

-Rob

rickysingh
2012-04-05 19:35:37 UTC
rickysingh [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rickysingh] created the discussion

"Re: Interface Utilization threshold not configured properly"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65744#65744

Hi Rob, no nothing was changed as far as the data points and monitoring templates. One thing I did notice was that the interface being reported was a Tunnel interface and not the actual gig interface in the high utilization alert. I have deleted the Tunnel interface from the device since I only need to monitor the gig interface as all my tunnels go through the same physical interface. Although another challenge I am experiencing is that all my utilization is coming up as numbers now and not as percentage anymore. I have the correct formula in the transform for /perf/interface class but it still won't work.

Thanks for your help.