Using graphs to monitor Disk and CPU usage
Ed Reber
2013-07-24 20:06:45 UTC
Ed Reber [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sekreber] created the discussion

"Using graphs to monitor Disk and CPU usage"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74130#74130

Hello All,

I am trying to use the graphs provided bu Zenoss under Infrastructure to monitor various aspects of the server, including disk space and CPU utilization. I read in a different post that you need SNMP enabled on the Windows machine to do this. I have SNMP enabled, I can do an snmpwalk command from the Zenoss Linux box and see the server. However, I get no data. I read in another post that to be able to see data, you need the device to be in /opt/zenoss/perf/Devices/. Not all of my servers are in this location. How do I add the server I am testing with to this location? I tried manually creating the directory and copying other files from existing directories into it and it did not work. All of our servers were added to Zenoss by way of the GUI interface.

Thank you for any help you can provide. I will keep searching as well.

2013-07-25 12:29:24 UTC

"Re: Using graphs to monitor Disk and CPU usage"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74123#74123

I think you've misunderstood something. You probably need to clean out the directory, or remove the one you created. Have you installed the core zenpacks?

If so, find the device in the WebGUI. Create a device class /Devices/Server/Windows/WMI (though this is a bit of a misnomer maybe - WinPerf?). Bind the Device_WMI perf template to the class you created.

Move the deviec into /Devices/Server/Windows/WMI and remodel. Wait 15 min and see if it graphs.

CLASSE Computer Group

Ed Reber
2013-07-25 14:23:39 UTC
Ed Reber [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sekreber] created the discussion

"Re: Using graphs to monitor Disk and CPU usage"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74134#74134

Hi James,

When you say remodel the server, are you referring to the Model Device found in the lower left hand corner tool box? That is what I used after I learnedhow to bind the device. Will update if it graphs properly.

Ed Reber
2013-07-25 14:36:13 UTC
Ed Reber [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sekreber] created the discussion

"Re: Using graphs to monitor Disk and CPU usage"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74135#74135

Thank you James, it worked. Under Monitoring Templayes, I had Device_Windows. I added Device_WMI and did not get a graph. I removed the Device_Windows, remodeled the device and pushed out the settings and the graph is filling in. I also checked on the Linux side and a folder was created automatically. Thank you again for your help.

Ed Reber
2013-07-25 20:57:02 UTC
Ed Reber [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sekreber] created the discussion

"Re: Using graphs to monitor Disk and CPU usage"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74158#74158

Will this work for monitoring disk usage? Or do I need to use SNMP for Disk Usage.