Monitoring Server and Users outside our network
Abdy Rodriguez
2013-06-26 19:51:16 UTC
Abdy Rodriguez [http://community.zenoss.org/people/abdyman] created the discussion

"Monitoring Server and Users outside our network"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73768#73768

Hello,

I wanted to find out if Zenoss has the posibility to monitor networks outside of the location where it has been setup.
Ive looked up some basic info on the system but when ever i tried looking for remote monitoring it thought it was just to another domain from inside the location or some other feature that i did not mean.

Rob Eagle
2013-06-26 22:09:25 UTC
Rob Eagle [http://community.zenoss.org/people/reagle] created the discussion

"Re: Monitoring Server and Users outside our network"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73770#73770

Abdy,
You could setup a local collector at the remote site which would be in charge of performace collection and traps/syslog/event logs to monitor locally from that site.  All configuration/event data would then be represented at your local sites' master application server.
--Rob

Abdy Rodriguez
2013-06-27 13:45:36 UTC
Abdy Rodriguez [http://community.zenoss.org/people/abdyman] created the discussion

"Re: Monitoring Server and Users outside our network"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73773#73773

These forums are so wierd, hope this is how you reply.

Thanks for the info, would this require its own server or could this be put
on like the DC and not really cause any issues?
And if so, Is there a guide you can possibly link me to for setting this up?

Rob Eagle
2013-06-27 14:06:08 UTC
Rob Eagle [http://community.zenoss.org/people/reagle] created the discussion

"Re: Monitoring Server and Users outside our network"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73759#73759

Abdy,
You mean DC, like domain contoller? Not sure there is a windows port for zenoss.  Would think zenoss would recommend it's own server for the collector, but assume you could share a system.  This would depend on the size of the remote install (ie how many devices and what type of monitoring).
Link to zenpack:
http://wiki.zenoss.org/ZenPack:Distributed_Collector_%28Open_Source%29 http://wiki.zenoss.org/ZenPack:Distributed_Collector_%28Open_Source%29
--Rob