Disabling zenmodeler
tzel
2013-12-16 14:16:42 UTC
tzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/tzel] created the discussion

"Disabling zenmodeler"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75478#75478

For some reason zenmodeler keeps on modeling my devices as soon as the daemon is being restarted, I would like to disable the modeler so it will not model my devices automaticly.

I've already changed the cycletime to 0 in both the collector and daemon settings without success.

Anybody can help me with this?

Rob Eagle
2013-12-16 14:50:18 UTC
Rob Eagle [http://community.zenoss.org/people/reagle] created the discussion

"Re: Disabling zenmodeler"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75472#75472

tzel,
Pretty easy process, just need to tell zenoss which daemons you want running:

# Create the following blank file to tell Zenoss you're controlling
touch $ZENHOME/etc/DAEMONS_TXT_ONLY

# Specify the daemons that you do want started in the daemons.txt file
$ZENHOME/etc/daemons.txt
zeoctl
zopectl
zenhub
zenping
zensyslog
zenstatus
zenactions
zentrap
zenmodeler
zenperfsnmp
zencommand
zenprocess

This is just an example, would probably run a zenoss status and put every daemon you have in that output in your daemons.txt except for zenmodeler.
--Rob

tzel
2013-12-16 14:52:15 UTC
tzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/tzel] created the discussion

"Re: Disabling zenmodeler"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75479#75479

Rob,

Thanks for your answer, does this allow me to model devices manualy without enabeling the daemon as you suggest?

Rob Eagle
2013-12-16 14:58:03 UTC
Rob Eagle [http://community.zenoss.org/people/reagle] created the discussion

"Re: Disabling zenmodeler"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75473#75473

Definately - This file is read when you issue a zenoss stop or start to tell zenoss what daemons you want running.  Would issue a zenoss stop before you actually put the file in or zenoss will only stop the daemons in the file.

We actually run modeling via cron by just running zenmodeler in a shell script similar to this:
cron:
0 23 * * * /home/zenoss/bin/enterprise_model_env.sh

enterprise_model_env.sh

#!/bin/bash

#
#  Zenoss Modeler Run
#
#  Creation Date: 20120313
#

# location of the shell script that initializes the zenoss environment
ZENOSS_ENV=~zenoss/.bashrc

# print the error message passed and exit with a return code of 1 (error)
fail() {
    echo $*
    exit 1
}

#
# main script starts here
#

# set up the environment
test -f ${ZENOSS_ENV} || fail "Source environment not found"
. ${ZENOSS_ENV}

$ZENHOME/bin/zenmodeler >> /home/zenoss/logs/zen-modeler.log

tzel
2013-12-16 15:33:03 UTC
tzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/tzel] created the discussion

"Re: Disabling zenmodeler"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75480#75480

Thanks Rob, i've made the changes and it seems to work thanks a lot!