4.2 install woes
themactech
2013-07-26 17:57:42 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"4.2 install woes"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74172#74172

Alright a few months back I worked on an install process for 4.x, installing from a minimal CentOS 6.4.  It worked fine, following the Zenoss install guide.

I am following the same steps with the latest 4.2.4 and I am running into a different outcome.

First off, my minimal CentOS 6.4 install now seems to have an older version of MySQL installed with it and also has the postfix package installed, both of which were not there before, I realize this is not a Zenoss issue but is still unexpected.

Now, when I get to the install step where I need to set the root password to blank:

mysqladmin -u root password ''

I get :  error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'

Either the root password gets a value by default (value that I do not know), or the fact that CentOS now names the network ports differently (em1 instead of eth0), might cause this, not sure.

Everything else in my install recipe seems to work fine up until that point, and this was not an issue a few months back.

If anyone out there has an answer on why this is happening it would help me resolve it.  So far all my attempts at following online guides on how to set the root password back to blank have failed.  Also, I install mysql 5.6.12, and the webmin module does not load for it (I put webmin on all my linux servers).

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Manuel

themactech
2013-07-26 19:58:05 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2 install woes"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74174#74174

Alright the instruction from this URL allowed me to reset the root password to blank and get a little further:

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/07/how-to-reset-forgot-mysql-root-password-on-unix-linux-windows/ http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/07/how-to-reset-forgot-mysql-root-password-on-unix-linux-windows/

To be continued...

Manuel

handsy
2013-07-29 09:13:50 UTC
handsy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/handsy] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2 install woes"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74184#74184

I used the auto-deploy installation found http://wiki.zenoss.org/Install_Zenoss here and found it brilliant! You just have to uninstall MySQL and Java prior to running the script (it will do it all for you :) ).