SNMPSET COMMAND
Gabriel Linero
2012-11-29 12:00:39 UTC
Gabriel Linero [http://community.zenoss.org/people/gabriel.lb] created the discussion

"SNMPSET COMMAND"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70228#70228

I have been using SNMP for a while since I was finishing my studies, but wasn't until two months ago when I started to use it professionally, and more accurate using Zenoss.
I was wondering if it is possible to add the snmpset command so I can modify some parameters in the hosts that I am monitoring.

Need help ASAP. Thank you!!!

szogu
2012-11-29 14:07:25 UTC
szogu [http://community.zenoss.org/people/szogu] created the discussion

"Re: SNMPSET COMMAND"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70218#70218

I didn't do it, but you can try with "setting/command" to prepare snmpset, something like this "snmpwalk -v3 -l authPriv -a MD5 -u ${here/zSnmpSecurityName} -A ${here/zSnmpAuthPassword} -x DES -X ${here/zSnmpPrivPassword} ${here/manageIp} system"

and find "Custom Properties" in manual.

Regards,
Tommy

Gabriel Linero
2012-11-29 14:14:46 UTC
Gabriel Linero [http://community.zenoss.org/people/gabriel.lb] created the discussion

"Re: SNMPSET COMMAND"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70230#70230

Thank you, I will try it

themactech
2012-11-29 15:16:25 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: SNMPSET COMMAND"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70231#70231

Can you give more detailed info on what you are trying to do?  Do you want elements in the graphical interface to trigger this (say a power cycle button), or do you want events to trigger these actions?

Depending on what you are looking to do, it might be a different process.

Manuel

Gabriel Linero
2012-11-29 15:19:58 UTC
Gabriel Linero [http://community.zenoss.org/people/gabriel.lb] created the discussion

"Re: SNMPSET COMMAND"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70232#70232

With the snmpset command you can basically change a parameter in the host you are monitoring. You have to send the value you want to modify as well. I was wondering just if it was possible to edit that command in zenoss. That is not critical but would be useful. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone

themactech
2012-11-29 15:29:24 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: SNMPSET COMMAND"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70233#70233

I understand what you can do with snmpset, I use it all the time, but the only reason to do it from within Zenoss is to work it into an automated workflow.

For example, I have a smart PDU that can power cycle devices, I can trigger this from a snmpset command.  I automated this to be trigger from an event showing the device as down since that particular piece of gear is known to require the occasional kick in the shin.

So when that device freezes up, zenoss sends the snmpset command to power cycle it.

Otherwise it's not much faster to do it within the Zenoss GUI than typing a one-liner in a terminal window.  Unless you're a two finger typer (GASP!!!)...

Manuel

Gabriel Linero
2012-11-29 15:39:53 UTC
Gabriel Linero [http://community.zenoss.org/people/gabriel.lb] created the discussion

"Re: SNMPSET COMMAND"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70235#70235

I understand what you mean, and yes, sending one command is much faster from the command line.
The thing is to send a command to automatically switch off a certain number of screens. These screens must be connected with an Ethernet cable and support SNMP maybe with its own MIB. In that case I was wondering if this would be possible.

Thank you for your help!

Sent from my iPhone