Audit scripts to dump Zope database - upgrade tool?
jcurry
2012-09-21 12:49:52 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Audit scripts to dump Zope database - upgrade tool?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68697#68697

One thing I have been developing for upgrade scenarios is a set of scripts that dump the Zope database to flat files with a view to then running diff on the output files from the 3.x and 4.x environment.  So far I have:

collectors_to_file.py
deviceClasses_to_file.py
deviceGroups_to_file.py
devices_to_file.py
events_to_file.py
eventTransforms_to_file.py
groups_to_file.py
locations_to_file.py
maintWins_to_file.py
mibs_to_file.py
processes_to_file.py
systems_to_file.py
users_to_file.py

Output of each type is sorted so, hopefully, diff'ing the files should provide reasonable results.

I have done basic testing on both Zenoss 3.x and 4.2.  All the scripts seem to work.  The users and groups include alerting rules and schedules, if any.  This aspect does not work on Zenoss 4 as notifications and triggers are handled differently.  The scripts don't fail but they cannot report on alerting rules (as the concept doesn't really exist in 4.2).

I am looking for beta testers so please send me a note if you want to try them ( mailto:***@skills-1st.co.uk ***@skills-1st.co.uk ).

Cheers,
Jane