Process monitoring without arguments
thomas
2011-11-28 09:40:27 UTC
thomas [http://community.zenoss.org/people/thomas] created the discussion

"Process monitoring without arguments"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62847#62847

Hi

I'm having a bit of a problem monitoring my splunkd processes, I have made a process monitor template matching with this regex:

+^splunkd -p \d++

however, I'm having problems because I can have both these cases:

*splunkd -p 8089 start*
*splunkd -p 8089 restart*

If I disable parameters, then I get too many splunkd processes because we also have some like this: *splunkd search --id=xxxxxx*

I noticed that even if I write a regex like this
+^splunkd -p \d+.*start$+

then I get an alert if a splunkd process changes name from ie. *splunkd -p 8089 start* to *splunkd -p 8089 restart* because the regex is apparently only evaluated on model time (?)

Anyone has a suggestion on how I might monitor this process?

I'm running Zenoss Core 2.5.2

Regards
Thomas