v3.2.1 and disabling the alerting of an event (cleaning up false positives)
me2
2012-01-29 18:03:12 UTC
me2 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/me2] created the discussion

"v3.2.1 and disabling the alerting of an event (cleaning up false positives)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63967#63967

how would I disable the alerting of

componet..........zenmodeler
event class......../cmd/fail/
connection was refused by the other side 111 connection refused.

I think this is the ssh client test but not 100 % sure.

I can either disable the polling or the alerting, whatever is easier.

I am still a newb and all help is appreciated?

thanks,

Jay...aka me2

2012-01-30 12:59:27 UTC

"Re: v3.2.1 and disabling the alerting of an event (cleaning up false positives)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63987#63987

Well, what Device Class is this device in? It looks like you may be trying to use SSH to connect to this device, but don't have proper credentials or firewall rules etc...

me2
2012-01-30 17:30:23 UTC
me2 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/me2] created the discussion

"Re: v3.2.1 and disabling the alerting of an event (cleaning up false positives)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64002#64002

I had it in discovered, and I thought I read in old support notes written by you or someone else that we shouldnt keep devices in discovered. So I moved them into a newly created class. I am waiting to see if the errors go away.

Yes there is a firewall infront and they are blocked because they dont need to find a listening service on tcp 22.

I am also wondering what the "gay snow flake alert " is for and will it go away. Not red so cant be too bad.

thanks for your response!

2012-01-30 17:51:44 UTC

"Re: v3.2.1 and disabling the alerting of an event (cleaning up false positives)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63991#63991

Ok, well first, the gray snow flake isn't an alert - it just means it's a component template. Second, what modeling plugins and perf templates did you assign to the new Device Class?

me2
2012-01-30 18:29:54 UTC
me2 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/me2] created the discussion

"Re: v3.2.1 and disabling the alerting of an event (cleaning up false positives)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64004#64004

ok, I am still a newb but learning.

My monitoring templates, carried over not because I was efficent in created them in one place or associated it with a class... but becuase when itially done a couple months ago I did it per device. As I grow I will figure out how to work more efficiently.

the modular plugins are ..4 selected
zenoss.snmp new device map
                           device map
                           interface map
                           routemap

2012-01-30 18:38:05 UTC

"Re: v3.2.1 and disabling the alerting of an event (cleaning up false positives)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63992#63992

Ok... The question however is WHAT ARE the existing perf templates? Is one of them trying to use SSH?

me2
2012-01-30 18:53:11 UTC
me2 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/me2] created the discussion

"Re: v3.2.1 and disabling the alerting of an event (cleaning up false positives)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64005#64005

one of them apparently was under discovered, it must have identified it as a unix box with listening ssh. Zenoss doesnt have access to this interface on tcp 22, and didnt need to ever monitor it. The initial issue was how to stop it from even trying.

Since moved out of discovered the issue is fine.

Shane Scott
2012-02-02 20:42:21 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: v3.2.1 and disabling the alerting of an event (cleaning up false positives)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64162#64162

me2:

Highlight the item, click the gear icon -> Monitoring and uncheck the box -> Ok. Next click gear icon -> Locking -> Lock from updates. This will rpevent Zenoss from flipping it back on.

--Shane