absolute newbie- Need directions to monitor a Xen machine
Ranjith kk
2013-04-20 08:12:19 UTC
Ranjith kk [http://community.zenoss.org/people/kriswalks] created the discussion

"absolute newbie- Need directions to monitor a Xen machine"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72927#72927

I have successfully (?) installed Zenoss core latest available and now trying to add my Xen Hypervisor in which is running with 4 to 5 Virtual machines.

I have added the device under Xen and it shows the virtual machines after this.

My requirement is this.

1. Automatically update the information on zenoss when a VM has been removed from the node.

This is not happening now but an event  up with Cmd/fail command failed

I need high CPU and other issues to be monitored on these Virtual machines and I need the alerts as email. I am finding it difficult to do this and I do not know how to start.

Can anyone guide me in this, I promise that I am a fast learner and only asks less dbt when have some info provided

Looking forward with great expectations.

Kris

guyverix
2013-04-20 18:06:16 UTC
guyverix [http://community.zenoss.org/people/guyverix] created the discussion

"Re: absolute newbie- Need directions to monitor a Xen machine"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72917#72917

For the VM's themselves, ignore that they are virtual machines.  Treat them like a physical host, and install snmp.  Monitor them in the normal fashion then.

As for #1. that is more of a problem to do.  You could likely script the KVM host to event when a host goes down, and deal with the results.  Zenoss responds quickly when data is passed to it, but is slower when it has to go and hunt down changes due to the periodic way it does modeling.

As for the alerts in email for the VM hosts, once they are monitored define a group called VM or something like that for them.  Then simply make an email alert rule stating if the alarm is for a host in group VM and criticality is >= (whatever) send the email alert..

Kris K
2013-04-25 11:56:49 UTC
Kris K [http://community.zenoss.org/people/kriswalks] created the discussion

"Re: absolute newbie- Need directions to monitor a Xen machine"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72973#72973

I have checked zenoss dashboard further and I saw a section called guests which corectly shows the guest status in green and red unders infrastructure-> Devices. Wow it detects the status realtime. I just need some help to convert this to an alert. I do not have any buttons enabled there to perform any action.

guyverix
2013-04-27 23:40:47 UTC
guyverix [http://community.zenoss.org/people/guyverix] created the discussion

"Re: absolute newbie- Need directions to monitor a Xen machine"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73001#73001

Why not just build out your virtual machines under the ping class?  They will alarm if they go down then.